What kind of food do you feed your corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't feed my corals anything, though I plan to try Rod's food and maybe Reef Chili from BRS in the near future.

I'm using DT's live marine plankton. My goniopora seems to like it definatly gets a feeding response.

I dont feed mine anything. They get all they need from the lighting and water column. It all depends also what type corals you have. I have mostly LPS and soft corals. Have not target fed mine in 14 yrs now. I still have my original corals.

I feed Live Phyto, Cyclopeze, H20 Life frozen coral food, and Mysis. Every 4 days I target everything, and alternate between 2 different blends of food.
Feeding is really dependent on your stock and your lighting. I have a lot of LPS, a non- photosynthetic Sun coral, and a Copperband Butterfly. The Sun coral and Butterfly get Mysis daily. I feel feeding with varied foods helps promote healthy stock, as long as your system and maintenance schedule can handle the nutrients

I create a mixed of oyster feast, roti feast, and coral frenzy. I pour at the high flow area :)

I have tons of coral and rarely intentionally feed them. When I do feed my SPS it is generally at night spot feeding with Marine Snow. It does accelerate their growth some.

I give mine a cap full of Seachem Reef Zoo Plankton once or twice a week. They seem to love it!!!

Fish don't digest a good portion of the food they eat and that left over food is plenty for the corals. If you are adding food to the tank for the corals you must be specific. All of these mixes you all are mentioning are not even feeding most of the corals by adding them right to the water column. LPS must be target fed to make a difference. Putting food in the water column misses them completely. Try a test. Pour your food in and watch the coral. You will see if it gets anything.
99.9% will blow right by it.
Small polyp corals will pick up some tiny matter like that of phytoplankton, but again, if you have fish pooping in the water, there is no need.
Just watch your water quality.

I think that you should spot feed as most of the food can be wasted. If you feed the coral at all. There is one exception...and that is some of the specific coral tanks that are specialized to raise polyps that are not symbiotic. Like Gorgonian tanks and other corals that grow below the photosynthetic depths or don't have algae. Sun coral is another example. While they can get some food from the fish wastes (and maybe enough depending on your feeding schedule), many of them only feed at night. There some careful spot feeding would be helpful I think.

Last edited:
As funny as this might sound, it's the absolute truth. I never use to spot feed my LPS Corals. I started about 3 weeks ago by target feeding a mix of Phyto feast along with oyster feast. I do this once a week now and shortly after every feed I notice them pooping. I'm sure others have seen this but it seems to me that this is an indication that spot feeding is beneficial to the corals

I think the message is that they feed regardless if you are doing it intentionally. There is always some proteins in the water column they will snag. The algae produces sugars that will sustain them, but corals don't grow just using sugars (that is energy) they need some meat in their diets. But most common corals are efficient enough you don't have to spot feed them.

I agree. They can live without target feeding. In my tank, I actually notice growth by feeding them. Before, they weren't growing at all

Back
Top Bottom