What kind of tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! I am planning on my next tank addition being a tang of some sort. At first I was set on a yellow tang, but then I saw a blue tang and really liked it. What I really want is a powder blue tang, but from what I have been reading a 72G tank is not big enough for a powder blue tang. I know that all tangs are very delicate and more susceptible to diseases than other fish. A guy from "That Fish Place" told me that the blue tang is actually more fragile than the yellow tang, so I again reconsidered my choice. So much info!!! This is my first tank so I am also looking for something that won't be too challenging to keep. Any input is appreciated, thanks!!!

May I suggest a yellow eyed Kole tang. They are IMO the hardiest of the tangs and will do OK in your size tank.

100_1328.JPG

blue and yellow hippo tangs require 125 gallons+ per fish.. last i checked... i just bought a scopas tang and put it in my tank.. he loves it.. when i feed him he has a really bright blue flake look to him.. other than that... he is like an eclipse.. white and it fades to black.. defenantly my 2nd favorite fish in my aquarium.. next to my lionfish of course =)

i have a 55 gal tank and i have a yellow tang great fish happy in my 55 tank so your tank should be big enough for one if mine is great fish it was hard to get him to eat at first but he loves his little caves in my tank

A "blue hippo" and "blue and yellow hippo" are the same species, different color variant. IME they belong in no less that 125g and the same for the Atlantic blue tang. The powder blue tang seems to be more fragile during the quarantine period, but much hardier than most tangs once stable in a system. A kole or Tomini tang would be best suited since most other tangs attain 1' at full growth.

I wasnt arguing either.. just showin how every site has its own "take" on what size a tank should be.. since i have been in the hobby (excluding freshwater...) ill read up and the largest tank they say that will minimally hold a peticular fish is what i have based it off of. FYI I wasnt trying to sturr the pot either..

yea every site says something different like the yellow tang most sites say 75 gal mine is a 55 but he is happy and healthy best fish in my tank i would not have got/kept him if melosu hadnt said he would be ok in my tank its everyones preffernce of course any fish would be healthier in a big tank. but yea i wouldnt go to much lower on anything than wat differnt sites say

I currently have a yellow eyed kole tang and a yellow tang in my 72 gallon tank. I did have a hippo tang before but he got so very large that I had to trade him in on a smaller fish (the yellow eyed kole tang).

I've never had a problem with my yellow tang and it adds a nice spot of color too.

HTH and good luck!

I agree, sorry for the mis-information. I am by no means a Tang expert or person so I was only going by what I read (only one source in this case). I do want to thank the folks that stepped in and corrected me.

I dont think you were necessarily wrong Scott. I know several folks that have them in a 75 gallon tank. I think we are agreeing different strokes for different LFS folks.

Back
Top Bottom