Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Honestly, mine bottoms out all the time. Sometimes I forget to dose, sometimes I overdose... And I dose anything I can, 2 part, kalk, baking soda... But what I've seen as the best growth rate "helper" was regular feedings. brs reef food (or whatever its called) us what I've got. When I feed mysis I also try to break up the cubes near the corals.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh.oh...
Honestly, mine bottoms out all the time. Sometimes I forget to dose, sometimes I overdose... And I dose anything I can, 2 part, kalk, baking soda... But what I've seen as the best growth rate "helper" was regular feedings. brs reef food (or whatever its called) us what I've got. When I feed mysis I also try to break up the cubes near the corals.
Ya I feed my corals every three days. My acans and brains have been growing amazingly fast .... I strain my mysis as much as possible though since I gotta feed so much to hit all 40 some corals plus fish lol

Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

Ya I feed my corals every three days. My acans and brains have been growing amazingly fast .... I strain my mysis as much as possible though since I gotta feed so much to hit all 40 some corals plus fish lol
My ph 8.0 alk 12 cal 420 for 3 years now sps growing out of my tank lol consistant parameters is key to sps growth
Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well looks like ill be walking the tight rope for a couple months to see if the results are worth the risk and if not ill probably back off to 4 meq/l, 420ppm lol.... On a side note does anyone else have trouble with alkalinity falling faster then calcium? My mag and calcium stay at pretty good levels with wc and dosing but I'm pretty much having to double my alkalinity portion to maintain consistent levels even when keeping at 3.5 meq/l... I'm noticing about 30-50 ppm of calcium being consumed daily but alk drops close to 1 meq/l (i have roughly 1 frag/colony per gallon in my system so pretty well stocked 46 gallon)
Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Well looks like ill be walking the tight rope for a couple months to see if the results are worth the risk and if not ill probably back off to 4 meq/l, 420ppm lol.... On a side note does anyone else have trouble with alkalinity falling faster then calcium? My mag and calcium stay at pretty good levels with wc and dosing but I'm pretty much having to double my alkalinity portion to maintain consistent levels even when keeping at 3.5 meq/l... I'm noticing about 30-50 ppm of calcium being consumed daily but alk drops close to 1 meq/l (i have roughly 1 frag/colony per gallon in my system so pretty well stocked 46 gallon)
Calcium reactor keeps my alk at 12 consistantly and cal at 420 cost quite a bit of money but worth it imo once you get it set youll almost never have any fluctuations on cal and alk again
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
The answer is in the article you linked to at the beginning of this thread. When calcification occurs, as in corals forming their hard skeletons, the process uses 1 meg/l of alk to 18ppm of calcium. As you noted, your calcium is well past what's naturally used up, so the rest simply precipitated out of solution. The article explains it all. In keeping your parameters as high is you do, what is happening is totally expected. Your 1 foot is already off the tight rope you want to walk.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like I said live and learn haha.. I heard I would.have trouble getting my alk to stabalize at these levels which can be difficult but once I find the balance it SHOULD hold fairly steady and consistent with dialed in dosing... And ya capt I'm gonna have to give that article a few more passes til I soak up the whole thing haha... Also I know I'm not the only one out there trying this. Any first hand experience out there AA?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so I got a question. What kind of calcium and alkalinity consumption rates do you guys experience over a 24 hour period?

Tags
level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« help | Lawnmower »