Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

So after a lot of advice and reading I decided last month that my next step on my tank is fine tuning everything which brings up this question. I've came to the decision id like to run right under 5 meq/l alk and 450-480 calc in my tank but would like to hear from you guys where you've found the "sweet spot" to be for your sps/lps.

Here's a good read I found on the subject too if anyone is interested
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.php

Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
That alk is too high. (5meq\l = 14dKH) It can burn many corals keeping it that high. You are also pushing the super saturation point and walking the edge of a precipitation event in your tank.

I personally keep my alk between 8-9 dKH (3.03meq/l) and calcium right around 400.
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know its borderline and risky but from my understanding of his articles you can get the best/fastest growth if you can stay right on that line with out crossing it right? And I'm not quite at 14.0 its been holding right around 12.6-13.7 and I've been keeping close watch with careful dosing (morning and afternoon testing too)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pretty much I got a couple more hours every day to do what ever I want with my new work schedule so I've been dedicating the extra time to my tank. I'm also getting a house very soon and upgrading to either a 180 or 155 so this has become my test/grow out tank so faster the growth the better which I've stocked almost completely with $5 frags so not risking to much $
Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
I know its borderline and risky but from my understanding of his articles you can get the best/fastest growth if you can stay right on that line with out crossing it right? And I'm not quite at 14.0 its been holding right around 12.6-13.7 and I've been keeping close watch with careful dosing (morning and afternoon testing too)
You misunderstood something. Randy would never recommend alk that high, however he does point out certain corals, such as porites, grow faster at a higher alk level than normal, with normal being natural seawater which is 7dKH. The highest I've ever seen him recommend is 11dKH.

If you feel daring and aren't worried about precipitation in your tank or on your equipment, go for it. Would I?...absolutely not......but that's just me.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh your totally right I wasn't saying he reccomends that high but that it "can" be done if maintained lol. I get that I'm running the risk of a snowstorm but that's the whole point to the thread id like to see the different techniques that have actually been used and what mistakes have been made

My lfs' reef guy and me were talking about it one day and he was telling me about an sps system he was running at 15 dkh/500 cal with a very watchful eye and says he was seeing almost an inch of growth a month. Given he also said he would never reccomend anyone trying it and he won't ever again due to the headache of it all staying so precise haha
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

And light quality is an important consideration as well. There was a reefkeeping article a few months ago about the effects of led lighting on corals, with some very interesting conclusions. Apparantly that 420NM color can raise the temperature in the tissue of the coral to cause it to bleach, unless there is enough flow and calcium/alk/mag. I think that with enough flow and lighting, 1.026 salinity and super high levels of minerals you can achieve superb growth, but you walk a knifes edge
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

During the "tuning" process I've actually noticed small amounts of precipitation from minor ph fluctuations in the am and at night so I definitely know I'm pushing the boundaries of a healthy reef and a major catastrophe but hey live and learn
Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly i think I'm already seeing some pretty good results. Adam (needmorecowbell) and me traded a few corals a lil while ago and I took a sps colony off of him to try and nurse back to health which by the time it settled in my tank had about 80% tissue recession and no polyp extension... 1 month later its about 90% recovered with new growth on the tips and amazing color
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh.oh...
And light quality is an important consideration as well. There was a reefkeeping article a few months ago about the effects of led lighting on corals, with some very interesting conclusions. Apparantly that 420NM color can raise the temperature in the tissue of the coral to cause it to bleach, unless there is enough flow and calcium/alk/mag. I think that with enough flow and lighting, 1.026 salinity and super high levels of minerals you can achieve superb growth, but you walk a knifes edge
What levels have you found best for you?

Tags
level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« help | Lawnmower »