what lighting do i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
right now i have 1 no florecent...i want to beable to keep some soft corals to liven up my tank...i really like xenias (however u spellit) what light would i need for a 30gal 36" long...any references to a good kit ect... also i searched on ebay and found the brand JEBO for PC for really cheap is this a good or bad brand? i just want a few corals and dont want to spend a ton on lighting right now as im a very pore college student...btw i want pc lighting

2x96 CF would allow you to keep everything except SPS. 1X96 would allow you some low-medium light softies if kept higher in the tank. I am happy with my Coralife PC's but there are a couple other brands out there. Xenia's usually require medium-high light but I'm sure some reefers have been successful with less.

You might consider a 6500 Iwasaki 250W MH in the center with actinic on the side to supplement. I think you can run these on a mercury vapor ballast (cheap). Even a regular 250W MH ballast is only $40-50. MH will keep your options open for later and REALLY jump start your reef.

phases...what kind of bulbs are we talkin on the 1x96 and the 2x96...antic, 50/50...ect... i have no clue what each of those different bulbs does and what i need

crage34 said:
phases...what kind of bulbs are we talkin on the 1x96 and the 2x96...antic, 50/50...ect... i have no clue what each of those different bulbs does and what i need

For a 1x96 I would get a 50/50 (half actinic/half daylight. For a 2x96 I would get one actinic and one daylight bulb. This combination will give you a good balance of functionality and aesthetics.

I would go with two CF bulbs as well. One 10000K and one actinic. If you just want to keep some softies and shrooms and xenia the CF will save you $$ and do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom