Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-16-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to heerism
What lightingfor anenomes and other coral life?

What type of lights do I need ot have anenomes and other organisms that grow on live rock and coral?

heerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
MH for sps corals, anemones (although anemones don't do well in captivity no matter what) MH, VHO, and/or PC for lps and soft corals. A "loose" general rule of thunb is 3-5 watts per gallon of tank capacity.

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
The general rule of thumb for coral is 4-6 watts per gallon, and soft corals will live and often thrive under normal output flourescents at a little less if they are within 10 or so inches of the light source. I do not have experience with anenomes but their light requirements are higher and the intensity must also b higher like halides, though don't quote me on that one. I have noticed the stupid aiptasia anenome seems to do just fine under 4 watts per gallon in my reef. It won't take long before the electric meter will be spinning like crazy and you'll be saying "Hmmm, I wonder if I can wire one more bulb into this thing somehow"
Long Live DIY
55 gal reef
45 gal turtle/fish tank
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote

anenome, coral, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com