Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What lights should i get?

I'm thinking of getting the razor 160w light for my 3ft signature tank on the weekend but have come across the ecotech radion lights, I really don't know what to get now, any suggestions?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

unless you want the customizability of either of those units, why not check out the simple Taotronics units? will save you a TON of money and still give you a ton of PAR

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
There are multiple lighting threads on here covering anything and everything. Check out the thread "lighting, best bang for your buck" as I type this it is only a couple slots below this thread. There they discus all the options. Good choice on led, I upgraded from t5 not to long ago and love the LEDs. I opted to go with pharos LEDs which is a higher end Chinese fixture. I wanted more options than a simple manual operated dimmer as is found on the taotronics. My 2 pendants with controller cost about the same as one radion. Not as many options and colors but I don't mind, it dims based on my program and simulates cloud cover which is enough for me. Best thing i could recommend is to do some reading and decide what you like best based on what your willing to spend. On another thread on this topic it was posted "you can pay for fancy or simple, the coral doesn't care" which is very true. You wanna show off lightning storms on your tank then spend the money and buy a razor or radion. If you don't care then save some cash and get taotronics and spend what you save on some new corals to put under them.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiefisher View Post
I'm thinking of getting the razor 160w light for my 3ft signature tank on the weekend but have come across the ecotech radion lights, I really don't know what to get now, any suggestions?
I have (2) 160's over my 125, love them, there are cheaper lights but I liked the neat clean look of them

Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Razors do not have lighting storms, made in USA, a great light, you get what you pay for, I didn't want a big square box above my tank, so I chose to pay more to get what I wanted.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I has to go with the razor in the end, the light just looks amazing, goes really well with the tank thank yuh for your advice I wish it did have the lighting storm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com