Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-02-2004, 08:10 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Activist
Mine starts out with a ten gallon fresh water tank when I was about 8 and I can't remember what fish I had in it. The pump burned out and I guess we never noticed because we were not big into fish yet. All the fish died and we ended up throwing the tank out. A few years later my neighbor was showing me all his fish tanks hes got a 20 gallon eclipse with some clownfish and damsels a 40 gallon with the same, a 55 gallon with a lionfish and blueline grouper, and a 500 gallon with 3 little sharks about 18 inches. I decided I wanted a saltwater sish tank and it just so happens I found a 20 gallon in the garbage the same day. I took it home and cleaned it out very good and set it on a wooden lobster pot for a stand in my room. I bought a emperor biowheel and some crushed coral. I put some damsels in there to let it cycle and then took them out and and put a clownfish in it, a green mandrin goby, and a small yellow tang ( yes the tang is going in the 75 gallon once it cycles I have been asked that a million times he is only about 2 inches right know). Then I bought some live rock and some inverts to add. I have some coral in it right know and have just bought some better lighting a jebo 110w power compact with one daylight bulb and one actinic bulb and a cpr bak-pak 2r protein skimmer. Then we got a 75 gallon witch is still in progress in cycling it will be a reef tank. We also have a 10 gallon that we use as a hospital tank getting ready to put the clown fish in there becuase he has ick. And thats the end of my story up to today.

10 gallon salt water 3 damsels
20 saltwater mini reek yellow tang green mandrin goby, clownfish, yellowtail damsel, coral banded shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, lots of corals and fiji rock
75 gallon cycling soon to be reef tank
flatzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:16 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus
What made me want a reef tank? This website. I was a FW only, then FF and RR converted me.

Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 01:45 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to MeekDoggyDogg
Great Colors excelent hobby leads to many carrer opertunities in he future for me.
MeekDoggyDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I had some FW 'bowls' as alittle kid, with some guppies.
I got older and was given a small hex tank, just enough for a betta.
in my late teens I picked up a 10 and 20 gallon, but that was before the Internet was actually useful to hobbyists, so I didn't do things right, and had lots of failures.

last sept. I picked up a 29gallon setup for FW, adn did things the right way (ok, I didn't fishless cycle, but I did do daily water changes and lost no fish).
That tank quickly turned into a high light planted tank...and by January I purchased a 75gallon and transferred everything over. Between Sept and Jan, I picked up a 20gallon FW for my wife, who gave up on it, so it's another of my planted tanks.

Now my planted tanks are stable and low maintenance...so I decided I was ready for the challenge of SW.
The fish are more vivid, the reef rocks look so natural and beautiful with the coralline algae...its a living work of art, like my other tanks.

I enjoy learning, and then doing...so SW is very interesting to me.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:52 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had FW fish tanks since as far back as I can remember
I've had just about every FW fish there is at one point or another
I have always been drawn to the beauty of SW tanks and wanted one for many years. In time all good things come.

Now I finally own one
72Gallon Bow Tank | LS/80lbs LR.com Keys LR 20Lbs Base Rock | fluval404 | Remora Skimmer | Red Sea Pro Wave Maker | 4 Maxi Jets 2/1200 2/900 PH | PinPoint PH Monitor | ARTICA 1/10 HP Chiller

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:58 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to gump3842k Send a message via Yahoo to gump3842k
see how much fun it could be...ohh and going to the aquarium in myrtle beach
35 gallon hexagon tank
150 Watt VHO's
57 pds of live rock
seaclone 100 skimmer
proquatics power filter
powersweep power head
candy canes
yellow polyops
Pair of maroon clowns
gump3842k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice FINatic
For me, watching an animal live in it's (albeit man-made) natural habitat is a thrill. I love the territoriality of fish, the incredible variety of life.

I have a friend who also has aquariums and sometimes complains that his fish are hiding behind objects in the tank - so he removes the objects. I don't understand this at all. My goal is to create a natural environment and if that means only seeing the critter once every couple weeks because he likes to hide - so be it.
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
i like critters that hide. it means they are displaying natural behavior.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #99
nice stories people they are really exciting
Old 08-26-2004, 05:27 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Regular
how lame am i... all these great stories, time for a bit of honesty...
my father owns a freshwater tank has for about 20 years... used to watch it in the dark with just the aquarium light on. moved out 14 years ago and didn't think anything of it. 2 years ago my husband buys a 10 gal kit for our 4 kids and obsessive/compulsive that i am i took it over bought gouramis to add to the 4 neons he got. but then a week later i got 5 zebra danios and 5 tiger barbs, then i had to have snails, and lyretails mollies, plecos to combat the algae (what do u mean i'm exceeding the bioload? what the heck is a bioload anyway?), 2 convicts which decided to have babies (how could i be a mother again my husband had a vasectomy?) 8O but no worries the Jack Dempsey i bought took care of most of all that . Shockingly enough he's still alive after a year who says he needs a 30 gal tank. And then...

D I S N E Y -- "Mom can we get Nemo?" Finally! An excuse to expand my compulsions without killing any more freshwater fish. Now I get to see how good I am at killing saltwater fish :P just kidding... i love it, i'm learning alot and so are my kids. my 7 year old is always over there pointing out something i've missed. ****! he just found another "little feather duster" we adults call it aiptasia. let's see how long i can keep some peppermint shrimp alive.... Wish me L U C K!!!

10 gal fw
1 jack dempsey
1 convict
1 pleco

72 gal bowfront
seaclone 150
4 x 65 watt coralife pc
hagen aquaclear 901 in tank
via aqua 3500 with scwd return from wet/dry
160 lbs live rock
40lbs combination sugarsized sand and crushed coral
1 feather dusters
2 emerald crabs
75 hermits scarlet and blue leg
20 turbo snails
3 large brittle stars
2 toadstools
1 colt coral
3 different zoanthid colonies
1 green finger leather, and cabbage leather
1 green starburst
4 different mushrooms
1 large anemone
2 cleaner shrimp
1 6 line wrasse
2 pajama cardinal
1 rock skipping blenny (very cool if you like sadists)
2 percula clown
1 engineer goby
1 scooter blenny

rockkfish is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef aquarium, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com