Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice FINatic
its a living work of art
As noted by malkore!

Looks like artwork, but constantly changing (evolving). It has been 6 months since I've added anything and still wake up to see something new that seemed to have grown overnight. I could just have a tank of LR and I would be happy.

Let's get a line wet!
got bait? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #102
Aquarium Advice Freak
im 13, when i was eleven i was opsesed with the aquatic shows on the discovery channel, after i begged my dad got my a 25 gal. fresh water setup i stuck with that for a year but i got bord because of the lack effort involved with fresh water so i took the plunge and whent SW i overstocked the tank with a yellow tang a maroon clownfish and a blue tang they all died after a month. i lernt from my mistake and first got 2 oclaris 2 weeks later got a sand sifting gobie and then graduated with ourchasing a rose anemone for the clowns. the tank flourished and matured along wit my water changes they all lived. but this just made me more eager for more challenges and more clolourful things. so when my parents asked me what i wanted more than anything for my big Bar Mitzvah present i said i wanted the beutiful 90 gal. surfline id been gazing at since i started buying freshwater fish.
so i got that just by our luck the manager was a member at our synagogue and said that hed include the 4 powerheads, heater and skimmer he also broght me too the back of the store and gives me the newely arived healthy fish. at the moment i have 2 oclaris clownfish 1 yellow tang 1 bicolour dottyback and this wensday my blue tang and yellow watchman gobie are ariving, the problem is i dont have any algae in my aquarium for the gobie to eat

philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:56 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As a young boy I started with goldfish in the small round bowl from the Carnival. When a teenager, my brothers and I started a 15 GA FW tank, and we had alot of fun raising guppies. When my daughter was a few years old, we started a 20 GA FW and eventually graduated to Cichlids, mostly mbuna's which I think are the most colorful fish. All this time the LFS was enticing me with their SW displays, but I resisted the urge, due to the high cost and stories about difficulties encountered by. Now that my daughter is married, and I am semi-retired, I have decided to give it a try.
~ Czar Casimir ~
Casimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
People around us all think that we are crazy for spending thousands of dollars on corals, lighting, skimmers, fish, filters, heaters, coolers, and every other money sucking aspect of this hobby. Even when I show my friends and three girlfriends (that had to compete with my reef tank over the five years having the tank set up), the perfection and elegance of each tiny part of life living together in perfect man-made balance they do not comprehend what we find so very interesting. There is something to be said that we can just watch the reef for hours everyday as if it were the first time we plugged in the lights, they will never understand till they build it them selves.

I always wanted a reef tank from the very first time I saw one at an aquarium show in the Tanforan Mall in San Bruno, CA during the summer of 1994. I was only 14 years olds at the time. I saved all my money I could and begged my parents for a 50-gallon tank. Over 6 moths I saved 300 bucks, all I could afford was the tank, an emperor filter, sand, a few gray stones, salt mix and a triggerfish. It was far from the show quality reef tanks I saw at the mall and I killed 5 fish, it was set up for four years. After leavening for college in San Diego and selling my set up for 50 dollars I lost interest in fish keeping. It was not until the spring of 1999 when my girlfriend won a goldfish at a carnival on campus that I again became interested. I went to her dorm that day and saw that poor little guy swimming about in a kim chee jar. I was appalled and we immediately went to the LFS and bought the gold fish a ten-gallon tank with an aqua clear filter and under gravel filter with a power head. The fish was won for a quarter and I spent 50 dollars on his new home. That was the renaissance of an obsession we are all too familiar with. Eventually the fish died and I was given a hand full of live rock from a disgruntled nano-reef enthusiast who had spent too much on a tank full of algae and dead coral. I took his sand and rock and five years later today I have the one of the most beautiful mini reef I have ever seen.
Tank: 18 gallon tall reef
Filtration: Aqua Clear mini, power head, 20 lbs LV, live sand, no skimmer
Water: Ocean Water from Scripps SD
Lighting: 36 watts power compact
Change: 20% water change per week
Coral: Green LTA, Xenia, Hammer, Star Polyps white and green, Shrooms, Brain, zoos, & more
Fish: False clown & bicolor
Notes: Tank established 5 years ago

pics of tank:
Nanoreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 03:40 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Post some pics Nanoreefer!!!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
I was digging in ditches and creeks in NE Florida LOL

I grew up born and raised in NE FLorida and loved digging in the creeks and ditches for little turtles and minnows. My grandmother kept a 10g with the old green box filter and rainbow gravel in it at her house for me for whatever new critters I found and a then my grandfather had two 10g above each other on a old metal 10g stand full of guppies. Then when I was about 14 my mom bought a 55g FW and broke all the rules and ended up with a beautifully planted and stocked tank, It was something easy to sit there and pass an hour or more watching these fish in their own world. Then I grew up, I married, bought a 55g like my mom and had africans and although big and bright, and even managed to have many breed and rear lil fish, I ached for a SW each trip the LSF every week. The same fish store I shopped at was the one my mother shopped at and only changed owners 3 times in over 25+ years... About 10 yrs ago they opened a entire side with the most high tech SW tanks and were very reef friendly and had the best help... I rushed home and told the hubby and he was like WHAT!? How much for LR??? What is LR!? he asked, he thought I was insane, but said ok, thats you christmas LOL... he has no idea it would be every Christmas for years to come... it was Christmas each week! I went and bought a little rock here and there if it looked to have a button or polyp and found the perfect pace for it and a big one when they caught my eye, and unwrapping that rock in its cooler in wet news paper was so awesome each time. Next thing I knew the hubby was in the living room at 1 am with a flash light with me watching the rocks for strange new life and odd creatures, or helping me catch and trap mantis shrimp... We love love love it! How can you NOT get hooked!?
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:02 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I live a few blocks from the ocean and love snorkeling, so it was just a short step to a saltwater tank. My first 20gal had a ugf an cc I tore it down to get a 55gal with lr and corals.
seafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:03 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I live a few blocks from the ocean and love snorkeling, so it was just a short step to a saltwater tank. My first 20gal had a ugf an cc I tore it down to get a 55gal with lr and corals.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:04 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry it sent it twice because I pressed the refresh button
Old 11-24-2004, 10:42 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife and i went to see Shark Tale movie, and the local theater has a large 180gal SW tank on display in the waiting area. It was so beautiful with all the corals,fish,and inverts... So to make the story short, we decided that we want a SW reef tank in our living room too. As a result, this was how we got into this hobby.

IfoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef aquarium, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com