Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-03-2004, 10:24 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
I am a scuba diver and I wanted a way to have that beautiful reef available to view all of the time. I am so happy that I did. Although it has its frustrations it has been a great hobby for me, my husband and our children 4 and 10yrs. I love coming home from a very stressful day at work (I am an emergency room nurse) and just staring at all of the things in the tank for 15min to defuse. it is great

mncspradlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:49 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Freak
When I was about six I had the goldfish in a bowl. Then after they died my dad got a forty gallon freshwater, and we had that for years. We had mollies, angels, tetras, and others I don't remember at the time being. I used to watch those for hours. I remember going into the LFS in the mall, and seeing these lionfish, seahorses, and stars. But salt tanks were even more expensive back in the day, and my parents didn't have the money for salt tanks. Well fast forward nearly twenty years, and once again I've become interested in fish again. I set-up my first salt tank three months ago. At moments it's been stressful, but it's very rewarding. After I get my current tank the way I want it. I plan on setting up a 58g salt tank. Where I will be getting a dwarf lion, and maybe a dwarf angel.

29g FOWLR- 2 Percula Clowns
2 Emerald Mithrax Crab, 5 Nassarius Snails, 3 Astrea Snails, 1 mexican turbo snails, 1 Chocolate Chip Star, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, and 27lbs of LR 2lbs tonga branch and 25lbs fiji rock

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:23 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via ICQ to jenpc Send a message via AIM to jenpc Send a message via MSN to jenpc Send a message via Yahoo to jenpc
I was given my tank by my friend and employee. I was scared at first that it would be too much work and I would not attach myself to my new pets because I hadn't had fish before. Good news is I love them and am getting on everyone's nerves with my "fish talk". I have learned tons. This website is wonderful and very helpful. I hope to add more coral to my tank, but my fish numbers are maxed out for the size of the tank. Of course, I can see myself going bigger someday.
jenpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:07 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I was around 6 years old my parents had a 40 gallon tank for a couple of years, well they decided to do away with it after a while and I made the mistake of going into a lfs 25 years later after always wanting a saltwater tank due to the wild looking fish and there I saw a beautiful reef tank, well you know where this is going, within a month of researching different set ups we purchased a 150 gallon reef tank and have enjoyed every minute of setting it up and getting it running.
We havnt ventured into the corals much at this point ,only a few fish untill we get our feet wet in the hobbie but the corals are coming soon,
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:52 AM   #115
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to spongeynip
I remember when I was 10, my parents bought a house in the Bahamas. I loved it, and especially the coral reef in the ocean in the backyard. I loved snorkeling around and seeing them. I bought a tank from my lfs, but after my mom got angry about the whole saltwater expenses, I had to make my 20 gal tank a freshwater tank. 3 years later my Iguana died of a terminal virus and I was devistated. So she caved in (of course after 3 years) and bought me one this Christmas (30 gal.). I'm getting it all cycled as we speak, and I couldn't be more excited (especially since im getting two o clowns for christmas). Now I'm so excited, and am looking toward the future (75 gal. tank )
Before you do it, remember, its only legal in 48 states...
Visit my site at spongeynip.sp.funpic.org/2.0.9/phpBB2
spongeynip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
MY neightbor has a fresh water tank and I used to go over there all the time to watch him feed his oscar I LOVED IT then one day he said he was getting rid of his tank and all I needed to do was cut his hedges so I did and bam a free 55 gallon aquaium. I started comunity but I knew what I really wanted was ciclids so I finally ended up with and oscar, and before that a red devil. MY neightbor then moved to NC but came back and we got to talking and he said he set up a SW tank. Well my oscar died from hole in the head a month later and I knew it was my chance to go SW. I sold my 55 and pushased a new 65 for the living room. And thats where I stand today!
SeriousDude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:10 AM   #117
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
Growing up inmy household as a child we always had pets. Mainly our black and white cat and our overweight bulldog. We also had an aquarium but it was my brothers and he always had cheamealeons and such in it. Well now i have grow up a little bit and have grown very much intrigued by tropical fish and even more so by reefs and inverteabrates. So here i sit on a wad of cash and am investing it into a 75 gl sw reef aquarium. I am still in the process of educating myself about all the know hows and such. I am a week away from the initial process of starting my sw tank up and going through the cycle process. anyone have any suggestions?
Jonathan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #118
the variety and colors over FW
after tons and tons of research I still know nothing
Brad524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:01 AM   #119
Send a message via Yahoo to senorcat
Hello. I am not a very great story to tell, but the story of how I got hooked on fish may be. I was very young, and as one of my first memories, I remember my grandfather's aquarium in his bar in brooklyn. I was barely able to get up on the barstool to gawk at the immense fish in this tank, but one of the bartenders helped me up, and there I stayed until I was plucked away to do family stuff. The Parrotfish was my fav. and I thought that the anemone was cool, but that's cause I was told that it was a magical fish booger. Anyways,I went home to Seymore Johnson AFB, N.C. , and watched all of the nature shows I could, especially about fish.
I begged for a tank, but it took two years before my father got one, after my older sister brought home a goldfish for me that she won at the fair kept a month in a cookie jar. The 20 gallon tank lasted a year, and we filled it with 5 more goldfish. Then I learned that you dont put goldfish with angels the next year, or sharks with guppies, or little 2 year old brothers with tools even near a tank. There went another four years.
High school, I loved biology, and got a tank with earnings from art projects for neighbors. !Mine All Mine at last! I kept freshwater to keep costs down, but a year later we moved and lost the fish. It was overcrowded with rosy reds that bred like guppies. A miracle that astounds me today and fueled a mischevious ego then. Well, my bro and i kept frogs in that tank for years to come, and away to the army I went, where I wasnt allowed to have pets.
Two years ago I started again, and have for the new year started a 30 gallon marine tank for my wife and I starting with a mollie I converted over the past 6 months, a tomato clown, damsel and purple angel. As well I have a 10 gallon marine for myself with a rescued razor clam and to juveniles so far, and a 20 gallon turtle tank, that until today had goldfish as well (he got the munchies a half hr ago and ate his tankmate).
I look forward to keeping and culturing my wife and I's marine tank and my 10 gal too for many years. It's about time, it took 23 years.
senorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have (had) three tanks: one African cichlid, one tropical FW community, and one tank in which went first a big Osacr (died of hole-in-the-head), and later the "abused" victims of the cichlid tank.

I decided to set up a brackish tank, and then, as I kept reading, the thought of a salt water tank became more and more appealing. That, plus being a scuba diver, made me want to try to do a marine tank.

We'll see......

30 gal standard 55 lbs LR, 60 lb live sand, 10 gal sump/refugium. Urchin skimmer, mag7 pump, 3 x 96W PC combination 10,000K/actinic bulb, 2 blue LED moonlights
SG 1.024, temp 79.5, pH 8.4

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef aquarium, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com