Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well... here goes mine.

When I was little, my brother, mother and myself would always go rent video games from a local store. On the way back to the car we would pass by a LFS that was recently starting up. After what seemed like 1349120 trips inside, my mother finally let my brother and I start up a small 10 gallon FW tank. Just started with some Neon Tetras and Plattys, the cheezy blue gravel, and an under gravel filter (ooh, ooh! and the treasure chest to boot). Needless to say, we had no idea what we were doing, and ended up feeding the fish 3 times a day, and tapping on the glass like no tomorrow. RIP class of 1985.

After that, probably at age 13, I tried my luck with a 29gal SW tank. Went well, although I knew nothing about cycling, water quality, proper filtration, overcrouding, testing... but managed to keep it alive for what I remember to be almost 1 year. I obviously eventually overstocked it (blue tang, yellow tang, percula clown, regular clown, couple damsels, few snails...) and possibly set the world record for ammonia spikes in a home SW aquarium. RIP class of 1992.

Annnnnnd... today, at 22, I plan on making a reef out of my 60 gal/20 sump. But this time, being more educated, better prepared, and with more $$$$$$$, I plan to do things right. Reading up on everything I can get my hands on, buying the right equipment, and adding the most important aspect of the hobby... PATIENCE. 8) I've had it with stuff dying on me due to my ignorance. I'll put faith in the fact that my cat is still alive ( ) and turn a new leaf on my past experiences.

RLG2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:20 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanted to learn more about the reef environment and the things that live in the reef. My first reef was an 18 gallon acrylic that was auctioned off at the store I work at. We wanted to take it down and set up something else, so we raffled it off and I won. This was about 5 years ago and now the tank is 29 gallons with the original sand plus extra (there's a total of 8 years maturity in the sandbed). This became my learning tank and still is. The 18 gallon reef I have now that's been set up for over three years is my show tank of what I've learned. Description of 18 gallon show mini reef is in my profile.

I'm really interested in learning more about the chemicals of stinging coral and anemones as well as the regenerative capabilities of coral and other inverts. Some amphibians share this ability, though not as extreme as seen with coral and other inverts.

I find learning about aquatic environments helps me learn about our own biology and the biology of just about everything else. After all, life did start in the water, right?

We, as a people, know so much more about outer space than we do about our own oceans. This lack of knowledge can very well spell the dangers that lay in wait for us.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to IworkatPSP
Well, for about the past 2 years I've worked in a pet store. (www.petsuppliesplus.com) The saltwater section always fascinated me so I began reading up on it and asking the manager everything he knew.

Since then, I've learned alot, but had not yet invested the money to start my own. So about a week ago I took the plunge, bought a 30gallon AGA tank/stand, Heater, Whisper 40 filter, a bunch of Aragonite, and a protein skimmer. Set it up, with a few problems, but now after finding this website my problems are solved and my tank in cycling.

Working in the pet store has its perks, I get to order whatever fish or supplies I want and if anything goes wrong, I get to yell at my boss. =O

I'll be posting here alot, and definately some pics once I get the tank all nice and spiffy.

IworkatPSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:49 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to jeff8183
I have to meet my boss in the morning at his house and he had a 55 FOWLR and 45 reef safe. His son is 13 and he is getting full custody of him so he had to get rid of a tank to make room for his son, so i got lucky and only paid a couple hundred bucks for the 45 and everything that came with it, not being that familiar with this hobby both my fish died in about a month because i got more rock and didnt cure it, well im starting over now with knowledge so hopefully it will be a good one
jeff8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:28 AM   #125
Aquarium Advice Regular
this is my first time working with sw and reefs so i am really a newbie to this hobby. about 6 months ago i saw my buddies reef tank and was just amazed at everything that was going on. I thought to myself wow just like having a piece of the ocean in you home and decided to give it a shot. my tank is only 6 months old but am hooked on this hobby. I will be getting a bigger tank in the future!
30 gallon reef tank w/DIY overflow, SCWD
Water Temp 78.1F
65W Dual Compact Fluorescent
65W Dual Compact Fluorescent Actinic
2-Moonlight LED
50# Fiji Live Rock
30# Argonite Sand
Yellow Watchman Goby, Scooter Blenny, Strawberry Basslet, 6 Line Wrasse, Mandarin Dragonet
Cortez Crabs, Scarlet Hermit Crabs, Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, Black Turbo Snails, Cerith Snails, Bumble Bee Snails, Astera Snails, 3 Pepermint Shrimp, Feather Duster, Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Clam
Frogspawn, Mushrooms, Zoos, Polyps, Galaxea,
Starburst, Xenia

10 Gallon Tank
CPR Bak-Pak2R Skimmer
2-10w 50/50 Compact Florescent
20# Argonite Sand
10# Fiji Live Rock/Rubble
Chaeto, Red Garacillia
Flsprophet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:33 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Freak
I couldn't think of anywhere else to put all my extra $$.
hey half the fun is dreaming it up!
srgetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to makana
i love this forum...great posts everyone!
heres my tale:
i was an intern at the california academy of sciences and loved the reef they had there. i worked at the tidepool tank with the echinoderms mostly. i love echinoderms. anyway, i moved out of the city and was so depressed because i missed my job and friends and grilfriend so i got a 5.5 gallon nano. ive been loving reefkeeping ever since.
i now have a banded serpent star that rocks my echinoderm-loving world!
isnt life great?

29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium

makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Freak
Im new to saltwater and have learned alot from reading posts here. Its is one of the factors that led me to set up a small tank (30Gal.) I love to see what others have done , some are just amazing. My tank is still cycling at this point......here fishy fishy fishy. Wont be long now Thanks all
Salt will raise your blood pressure,
Saltwater will lower it .

Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but there's still a bug in there from last time.
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:19 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Regular
Hmmm, now this is a interesting topic...

Well, when I was a child back in the 80's, I had a small tank with some fish. It was freshwater. I never seem to remeber much about the tank, other than I used to screw with it all the time (like everthing I own) an im pretty sure I killed off the fish. I grew up in Michingan where fish, and water are pretty much everywhere.

Now, jump forward to christmas 2004. My roommate and myself are looking for a tattoo shop to get some more stuff done (im a freak, lots of piercings, tattoos, wierd hair, crazy looking...you know the type... im one of those guys you avoid), anyway, were looking for this shop and when we get there its closed, but next to it is a LFS. We decide to go in and take a look around. Back in 98 my manager had a couple of tanks, and every time I went over there, I noticed i liked watching the tank, and when I walked into the LFS, all those memorys came back. I knew right then and there I wanted a tank. I knew I didnt want a small tank, and knew that a minimum of 55gal was the way to go. About 3 months ago, my friends dad calls me and asks me if I am interested because he rememberd me telling him if he ever found something used to let me know. Well they are remodeling the basement, and dont really have a place upstairs to hold their tank, so he asked me if I was interested. I picked the tank up "established" and have been pullin my hair out ever since . Even though I have been battling nitrates from the get-go, I still love the hobby, and cant wait to get everything corrected. Corals will be in the near future, and I am very excited to have a beautiful tank. This is an amazing hobby, and is quite relaxing. I have a 2000$ big screen TV in the same room as my aquarium, and I tend to spend more time watching the aquarium than I do my TV 8)
neon_hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is my story on what made me want a reef tank:

My mom and dad would never let me have fish as a child. I had always wanted them... In 1998 I met my husband, Josh. He raised and bred African Cichlids. I thought this was really cool, but a little boring. After dating for about three years, he decided to go back into the Navy. We sold all his fish and moved to Italy. While living in Italy we were unable to have a fish tank, but we would spend a great deal of time at the ocean. I loved more than anything to sit in the shallow areas and let the fish nibble my toes. About a year ago, we moved back to the states, bought a house, and decided to start up our fish tanks again. We set it up for fresh water and got some goldfish to cycle it… then I accidentally killed them (accidentally on purpose). We had been snorkeling a lot at this time and I was fascinated with the gobies that go in and out of the holes in the rocks. I begged and pleaded to start a salt-water tank.

Finally, after about a month of me begging and pleading he caved in. We went to the beach, got all the sand and water from the ocean and started the cycle. A year later we really got into the hobby and have now spent way too much money and are making the designs for our custom tank (which will be huge!!!).

We are also the proud owners of two pound rescued dogs and a cat. We love our animals and consider them our children, yes even the fish.

JPloman is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef aquarium, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com