What made you want a REEF aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My husband. Well he didn't make me... He nagged until I gave in. And then he made it seem imperative that we buy a 125 gallon to replace the 75 gallon he had for less than 3 weeks. Now we also have a 30 gallon QT running. I am 100% positive that we will not NEED another tank and if he brings one home ... He needs to plan to live in it.

I've been Scuba diving for 20 years and keeping fresh water fsih for 25 years. I was always afraid to switch to a reef because of the work, but a buddy at the LFS talked me into the conversion. Just at the fledgling point (FOWLR), but I'm addicted. He'll keep me patient, but I can't wait to expand. Reading and watching everyone in this site's progress makes me want everythign now, bu tI'll do my best to be a responsible reef tank owner.

I've always been amazed and fascinated that one could actually have a beautiful living coral reef in their living room,... To this day I'm still in awe of their beauty every time I see one,.... Years ago when I started going to Hawaii for my yearly get away,,I took up snorkeling and became fascinated watching their under sea world, especially the humuhumu's,...little did I imagine that years later I'd have a budding reef aquarium complete with corals with my humuhumu's too,.... Fascinating, never thought I could do it!

I always loved reef tanks but thought they were to hard to take care of and was afraid to try! I'm taking things nices and slow....started with live rock, a few pieces at a time, then got brave and bought a few mushroom which are doing wonderful! Haven't added anything more....taking it slow and easy. I hate to see anything die. Looking at the pics of everyones reef tanks on AA makes my tank look, well cheap but hopefully in the comings months my tank will look great to! :)

I started with a 75gal FW african chiclids. A couple of endangered species. I loved the colors, but soon got bored with it. After talking to several LFS and doing research I decided to challenge myself with a reef tank. Its a 90gal with sump. It know has several soft corals, 2 "true" clowns, 6 line wrasse, and a long tentacle ame.... Trying to convince the wife to let me get 150 gal if I sell my FW tank. But just found out we are expecting, so it will be on hold for now....

Growing up we had a (10) gallon FW aquarium with some boring kissing fish, a goldfish that I won in boyscouts and a pleco. I never really cared much about it as I was about 8-12 when we had it and I never gave much though until highschool. When I was (16) I got a job working at Outdoor World Bass Pro Shops, in Auburn Hills, MI. They have a 125,000 gallon FW aquarium or something like that, and I would watch every day and dream about having a GIANT aquarium. I started talking to people about fish and they started telling me about Gars and arrowanas and other big fish. I started doing hours and hours of research on MFK, and found a 180 gallon pre-drilled with stand 75 gallon refugium / sump, pump, sea swirls, mag float, afor $500. I saved up quick and drove to Ohio and bought it. I thought I had looked into everything. Cost of start-up / maintance / equipment, etc. I bring it home, to my parents house and we put it in my bedroom. The monster. It was only after about (3) weeks when I decided to add water that I started asking about the weight factor. Well needless to say, it never got filled. The tank was huge and it followed me to my first apt, luckily I had a two - bedroom where it became the temporary home of a Kentucky box turtle for almost two years before I released her back into the wild. (3) years later, about two months ago, I moved again. Another two-bedroom, but I didn't feel like getting this thing down four flights of stairs again. I put in on CL for $200, and only had (2) serious inquiries. Both people that showed up were not prepared for the size of this AG tank. I finally gave it away, one week before I moved to a friend / coworker who placed it in his basement, and is in the process of adding livestock. We're going to get his 1st Gar on Saturday.

After I gave away my tank, I immediately felt empty (like the tank). I started looking on CL for my dream SW tank. After looking for about (2) days I found a "Deal" on a 54 gallon bowfront corner aquarium with all the fixins for $400. I was sold. Brought the tank home, added back the LR, water, and fish (4 green chromis) and took off. This past weekend I added my "1st" fish - a Flame angel, and Tuesday I went back and bought my 1st coral - a Hammer coral. The whole thing is beautiful. In (4) weeks, I haven't watched Netflix for more than 30 minutes and usually 15 of those I'm distracted on AA or watching the tank!

Always wanted 2 things since i was a kid!!!

1) a 30 gallon hexa tank with a single pair of Longsnout Seahorses
2) a fish pond in my backyard.

I have a 10 gal with some guppies and some live plants (female guppies only) and a 20 gal community tank with some more plants and guppies and 2 plecos. 2-5 gal mini tanks with betta fish and one 10 gal also with betta fish.

im here to try and learn the proper way to keep my saltwater seahorse 30 gal tank! i get scared sometimes when i hear how expensive and how difficult it is to keep but as soon as i get my hands on that 30 gal tank im on my way to get my seahorses!! hoping to learn alot from all of you, please guide me!

Always wanted 2 things since i was a kid!!!

1) a 30 gallon hexa tank with a single pair of Longsnout Seahorses
2) a fish pond in my backyard.

I have a 10 gal with some guppies and some live plants (female guppies only) and a 20 gal community tank with some more plants and guppies and 2 plecos. 2-5 gal mini tanks with betta fish and one 10 gal also with betta fish.

im here to try and learn the proper way to keep my saltwater seahorse 30 gal tank! i get scared sometimes when i hear how expensive and how difficult it is to keep but as soon as i get my hands on that 30 gal tank im on my way to get my seahorses!! hoping to learn alot from all of you, please guide me!

I have two ponds in my back yard (one full of koi) and I am here to tell you, they are just as much work as the SW tank I started about 6 weeks ago. :) But, my wife loves them. Both ponds and the SW tank were presents for her.

i had just set up a 10 gallon tropical tank...i had to go to petco to get some fish supplies and i walked past the saltwater fish section. i remember myself thinking that you can't get that type of beauty with freshwater... so i went for it. :)

I had to keep up with the jones. Lol. Jk. Always had fish. Sisters have SW tanks. I just liked the idea of a reef over a fowlr

Jlsardina said:
I had to keep up with the jones. Lol. Jk. Always had fish. Sisters have SW tanks. I just liked the idea of a reef over a fowlr

That's cool that you have family members in the hobby! For instance, my sister likes the tank when she looks at it, but she would never set up one of her own, LOL.

redsea said:
That's cool that you have family members in the hobby! For instance, my sister likes the tank when she looks at it, but she would never set up one of her own, LOL.

Lol that's how everyone is with me.

My wife is a big help with my tank. She says things like "Shouldn't you clean that?" or "When are you going to add more fish?" LOL

I'm almost 40 and have had fish tanks my entire life. My father used to run 10 freshwater tanks and have a breeding tank in the basement to supply the local store. I had a tank in my bedroom until I moved out. When I bought my first house I set up a large fresh water tank but really alwasy wanted a salt water tank but words like "protein skimmer" and just having no idea what to do scared me. That tank was up for years but I sold it when I moved. 2 years ago, in the new house i wanted another tank so I went to the fish store and they had biocubes. Everything in one box, just ad sand, salt and rock. Perfect! Started my 14 gallon and LOVED it. I quickly realized that it wasn't set up for a reef unless you wanted 1 clown fish and a bunch of mushrooms. So, i dove into my first real reef tank last May. Knowing what I do today, I would have gone bigger but again, I didn't know the limitations to a 55 gallon over say a 90 gallon over a 120 gallon. I figure I'll upgrade someday but for now I love my 55, it looks amazing, I have really cool fish and coral and its a blast to maintain. Someday I'd love me some big Tangs though...:)

Back
Top Bottom