Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-06-2005, 12:30 AM   #141
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
My neightbor he started me with a freshwater tank because I liked his oscar so much so all I did was trim his hedges and a 55 gal tank was given to me. Then he move to NC and then moved back. We got to talking he said he started a reef. I said I would like to start one once my oscar passes. Well unfortunetly he died of hole in the head bad gold fish I presume water was in check. So I sold the 55 and bought a 65 for the extra width. And I was off! Bought some LR from the LFS then went only for 50lbs via eBay. Fist order got lost came to me in 2 weeks it was dead had to send it back then got new shipment. It game in 3 days this time. And the rest is history a lot of up and downs of not wanting on after having to learn the ropes and the problems cyno hair algea and everything else that could so wrong has. But now my tank has been stable for 7 months and there is no turning back!

SeriousDude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:28 AM   #142
Aquarium Advice Regular
Umm, guess my friends tank got me started so i got mum to get me a 75gal for a first tank and i am now saving up to get a 8x4x4 custom made for a sharky.

midol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #143
Well I have always wanted the fish that are in SW...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:26 AM   #144
Aquarium Advice Regular
the sheer beauty of the ocean!
pool_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
I have always like SW tanks, never though I could make one. After having 2 FW tanks with peacful and africans, I decided to take the plunge with my 10g tank. Now Im addicted!

Pics and specs coming soon...
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:10 AM   #146
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started with a fish only saltwater tank and was getting bored quick since it was only a 30 gallon system and I couldnt keep the really exciting fish I wanted. I quickly realised that in the reef world I could keep all kinds of neat stuff.
Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It wasn't my idea, at first!

We received a call from a family friend (FF) for many years. They were in the process of moving to another town and told us they couldn't take their fish tank. The only fish they had was a FW sucker that must have been 5+ years old. It was huge. I reluctantly agreed since my wife didn't want to hurt their feelings. The tank was a 20 gal hex made of plexi glass with a home made base. We asked the FF if other fish could be kept with the huge sucker (it was our first fish tank). The FF said you could but the sucker may eat the other fish. We set up the tank and headed off to the LFS. As fate would have it, we ran into another friend at the LFS while we were there. They were getting suckers for their pond. We informed them of our new huge friend and said we would let them use him for their pond. We had a lot of explaining to do when the FF came by to visit their sucker. I assured them he was much better off in the 8x4 pond than in a 20 gal tank. It sure was awkward. After having the tank for about 6 months and many more trips to the LFS, we were hooked on fish. We decided to buy a new home and during the move decided the hex had seen better days and went to the LFS to buy a new one. We ended up with a 29 gal and set it up FW at first. My kids were bugging us for a Nemo fish and we told them we can't have a Nemo because they were SW. After many many many many many more requests I told them fine. I took the FW fish out, added salt, bought a damsel, and you guessed it, it died. I then let the darn thing sit there with nothing in it for at least 6 months. My wife started bugging me about the empty tank with black algea and asked if I would please clean it up. So, I did. I took all the FW stuff out cleaned the tank and started all over with SW in mind. I am very far from knowing much about this hobby, but, I have a 1 month old SW tank with live rock 2 damsels, 1 clown (NEMO), about a dozen snails and a dozen hermits. The first thing we do when we wake up is check out the tank and the last thing we do before bed is check out the tank. We are very excited about it and look forward to adding a reef.
imustbenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! new to the forum so I thought this would be a great spot for my first post here.

I spent my youth on and in the ocean from San Diego south to Cabo San Lucas. I love the ocean and its tranquility. I joined the Army and went into Special Forces for many years. During one tour that took me to Germany and the 10th S.F. Group I went to the Kolle Zoo(cant remember if that was the spelling) and I witnessed the incredible 1000 - 5000 gallon reef tanks they had. I was amazed at 2 story aquariums with corals growing like mad (remember this was 12 years ago). I started helping them care for the shop aquariums in exchange for coral frags. I started with a used 50 gal long and within 4 years I had no less than 9 SW aquariums ranging from 1 gal to 110 gal.

after my 6th year there I decided to return to the states and gave all of my fish corals and equipment to some of the greatest teachers you could have in reefkeeping. Germany was way ahead of the U.S. at that point imho.

Once getting back here I took a hiatus from reefkeeping but last year I went ahead and started a 90 gal FOWLS but since I never added many fish (and always reef safe ones) I am pretty sure the reason was DEEP down inside I want my lil piece of the reef back. I am just about to start adding the first stages.

Best Wishes!

Royal Gramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:08 AM   #149
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was a bachelor for about 10 years, never having the pleasure of anything else "living" in my apartments with me (other than plants) and decided that the beauty of a saltwater aquarium and some fish would be a wonderful addition to my bedroom. I chose the largest tank that would look right against the wall across from the foot of my bed (72 gallon) and I choose a bowfront for the way it makes the tank look bigger and more spectacular.

I was also hoping that the saltwater atmosphere in my bedroom would help with my alergies. I have moved one time now, successfully moving the entire tank into my fiancee's house, and we absolutely love the atmosphere that it brings to our bedroom.
72 gallon bowfront saltwater
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to Jasonanatal
It all started out with a Betta Fighter Fish that I picked up for my girlfriend in August of 2005. She had this little 2.5 gallong tank and the fish was swimming and always catching our attention. So I decided I wanted to get into Freshwater and my brother who has been doing this for over 15 years said to me "Don't go freshwater that is for girls. You want something that will make anyone that comes into your home mouth drop to the floor go Marine." Ever since then I decided to take the plunge. I have had a succesfull setup with minor setbacks here and their since then. I would never think of taking my tank down.

It took marine life 500 million years to evolve to their current state. Patience is the key to a beautiful aquarium.
Jasonanatal is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef aquarium, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com