Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-30-2002, 09:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I got $40 for Christmas one year and I wanted to spend it on something. Voila!

jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via ICQ to tyler Send a message via MSN to tyler
what made me want a reef tank? you bastards, that's what. i think i may start a nano coming up here. i think nano's are delightful, and i have nothing but time to give it. i'm actually going to take my time on this one, but i'll keep you guys posted.

tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:14 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Originally Posted by jebus
what made me want a reef tank? you bastards, that's what. i think i may start a nano coming up here.
We're here for ya Dawg

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 11:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've always had fish, since as long as I can remember. My mom bought me a tank (must have been about 5 gallons) when I was probably 6 or 7 and ever since I have had fish, always freshwater. I'd always wanted a saltwater tank since the first time I ever saw a trigger fish in a LFS. I always imagined they were to difficult and expensive, and nobody ever seemed interested in fish. About 3 weeks ago, my wife and I were eating in a seafood restaraunt and she was admiring their tanks. She innocently said the words, "we should do a saltwater tank". The next day I was getting an old 30 gallon tank out of the attic and moving our cichlids upstairs into my son's room. Last saturday we put some damsels and live rock in the tank and we are both excited. What was really exciting was my wife said if we were successful with this we could try a 100+ gallon setup. I think that was only because she wants an eel. Anyways, even with just the damsels and live rock I spend a great deal of time staring into the aquarium. I can't wait till the cycling is over.
glstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
Been keeping various freshwater since I was a kid, then about 2 1/2 yrs ago, I just felt I was ready to try. I've been getting various fish mags for years, so I ended up going through old mags and reading all the salt articles again.....
I set up my first SW tank 2yrs ago and I love every minute of it!
Toomanyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 07:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via MSN to MaggiesGame
Growing up "on the water" started this for me as a very small child. We lived on the Gulf, and I started shrimping with my brother at age 9. I LOVED IT. But everytime that net dropped on the deck of the boat, instead of seeing shrimp, my focus was always on the dead fish, the many seahorses, starfish, and puffers. That always broke my heart to see. One day (I was married by this time) I actually came across a seahorse that was alive. Instead of putting it back, I decided I was going to try and keep it. A friend had S/W tanks, so I took it there for them to raise. Well, 3 days later, there were babies everywhere! I was hooked then, and that was 22 years ago.
MaggiesGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 12:42 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to Silentrob21
Ever since I was a little kid Ive had fish. Like everyone else I started with goldfish in the little round bowls. When I like 8 or 9 I got a ten gallon aquarium at a yard sale and kept various wild fw fish in it. Then later down the road I bought a ten gallon tank from Wal-Mart, it turned out to be a bad deal so I brought it back and went to a lfs and bought a 20 gallon tank (which I still have in use) and made it a fw tank. I conquered fw and decided to move up to the bigger challeges of sw. So I converted my fw tank to sw. About 2 months ago I was given a 55 gallon tank with all the goodies and Im workin on turning it into a sw tank. My tanks are coming along fine and Im hooked on aquariums for life!
55 gallon sw tank
1 Green Manderin
1 Rock Beauty
1 Flounder
1 Snowflake Moray
1 Gold Striped Maroon Clownfish
Silentrob21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
I always liked fish, but never kept any. Then I got a 5.5 gallon from my uncle when I went away to college. He had some guppies that he needed to move, so he let me have his old tank and the guppies. I took them to school, and bought a few neons and a betta from WalMart. Vinny (the betta) was the best fish I ever had. He used to kiss me through the tank. It was adorable.

I've had a tank pretty much since. I stayed with that 5.5 for a while, and then in summer '01 my cousin decided he wanted to get into saltwater, so he gave me his old 10gal freshy. I kept that for a while with some mollies, tried my hand at keeping plants (the mollies ate them all), and then graduated this past May. When I got back home, my other cousin gave me another 10 gallon. I'm working on that one now, and I'm gonna try the plant thing again.

Two weeks ago, a guy my dad works with said "I have a 20 gallon tank and a stand in my garage. If you want it, come and get it." So I did. It's a long, and I decided I wanted to try to get a mini reef going in it. I just got all the 3-year-old rocks and crap out of it, now I have to clean it all up and make it look new. Then I get to start my adventure! I'm glad I found you all when I did, too. You'll save me from many mistakes, I'm sure.

hisc1ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 07:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
Both my husband and I grew up with aquariums in the house, and the funny thing was both our fathers had oscars. After our first child was about 3 we decided to get him a couple 7 cent gold fish knowing that wouldn't last long, well the first one didn't last long at all, but the other lasted 5 years, he outlived all our fresh water fish. We went from having a bowl to 3 aquariums, one had cichlids that populated so much it was hard to clean the tank for fear we'd vacuum one of them up. We finally got down to one tank after remodeling our downstairs and got a nice stand and wouldn't you know it about 2 months after buying the nice stand the goldfish that had lasted 5 plus years and was in a 29 gallon tank by her or his self (never did figure out what sex it was) and being that the fish had gotten about 8 inches long, it died. SO, I told my husband, lets try salt and after a lot of reading here we are, we are finding it hard (the waiting part) and exciting, and yes it's expensive especially when you have two small boys but it's fun and educational for them and us!

Thanks for putting this up!

Kaurene and John
New2Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 02:29 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
first i made a stupid buy with a 10 gallon tank and an oscar. i learned really quick that he wasn't going to last long in a 10 so i bought a 75 gallon for him. then i went away to college and came home one weekend after i had just gotten a paycheck. me and my girlfriend went to the lfs and i decided i would start a saltwater tank. so i bought a 20 gallon tank and some live rock and there you go. now its an ADDICTION!!!

kribbz is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef aquarium, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com