Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via Yahoo to SeansReef
What made you want a reef aquarium?

First of all, I Love sea life.
Really all animal life fascinates me.

I remember my parents on the 70's having a 10 gal freshwater aquarium with the metal edges. They even had the sunken ship inside and had the air pump attached to it so the wheel thing would move. It also had the old box filter with floss and carbon. That is were it started for me.

I have had plenty of freshwater fish tanks, reptile and amphibian tanks but once I got into the reef tank, it was all over!

I got my TruVu acrylic back in 2000 from a friend of my sister in law. Funny story is that the husband was being deported back to Mexico and the wife was getting rid of his stuff!
My then wife agreed to take it off their hands and we decided to do saltwater fish only to start. I did a lot of reading and talking to the guys at the LFS about saltwater aquariums. In visiting the LFS we would see different corals and inverts. Every time we went to the LFS, my wife would ask about what it takes to keep this, or that. I changed the lights, bought some live rock. My tank was a FOWLR for only a few months before she wanted to add more. Changed the lighting again, changed the filtration. The rest is history!

Started a 30 gal reef in Feb 2002.
About 6 months ago I purchased a 110gal glass aquarium, built the stand and canopy. I will combine both my 55 and 30 into one. Retire my 55gal and I am thinking about doing the same with the 30. Not sure yet.
(I am looking for a cheap overflow box for the 110gal since it is not drilled)

15g Tru Vu Acrylic Freshwater
55g Tru Vu Acrylic Reef Tank

90g "Under Construction" glass Reef Tank
SeansReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #192
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to panza
Well about a year ago my brother started a 55 gallon tank and it looked like a lot of fun but a lot of work than my birthday was about to pass and my and my parents had a chat and decided to get a tank my self and its a blast! who ever doesnt do this hobbie i STRONGLY suggest (just make sure u have enough money to spend cause dang its expensive ha ha)

panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #193
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to rafecci
We (my daughters & I) started with a science project to monitor and document growth of "critters" that emerge from things we would never had thought should sustain life. So my brother had a SW tank and said - "Got a great idea for you girls" Gave us water, sand and "A" rock. Needless to say - "things started emerging!" We started the documentation project and started maintaining the tank to sustain life that was emerging. We added various rocks from different places. New life - mushrooms, corals, sponges, and many critters. (we have added fish to please Dad..LOL)

Still today, my daughter (16 y/o), begs to go watch a speech by Julian Sprung! I gave in - and she sat through a lecture of nature filtration and was totally hooked on his every word! Amazing - she's a natural! I suspect someday I will be visiting her some where close to the ocean!
God Grant Me Patience...But Please Hurry!
rafecci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Regular
I have ALWAYS loved the ocean. I used to live in California, and I always found saltwater fish especially beautiful. I scuba dove in Hawaii and loved it as well.. but, I started wanting a saltwater tank when I was about 9 right after my mom got me a freshwater tank. Of course, I wasn't able to take care of one at that age, and my mom didn't want to. So finally, years later, at 20 I am able to have one! I love being proud over the life thriving and the new life I find. It is such a rewarding hobby.
mlpbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #195
Aquarium Advice Activist
It's light lift's me up when I'm down. It's my very own ocean that I can escape to.
14 gal biocube salt
1 orange zoo polyp colony, 2 toad stool (small), 1 umbrella leather (large), 2 pulsing xenia, 1 star polyp colony, 7 blue mushrooms, snails, pep. shrimp, 3 blue legged hermits, 2 onyx percula clowns
DJLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #196
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
i was just lookin for a cool pet, something that would cheer me up and give me something to do.
HoCkEyGmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #197
Aquarium Advice Activist
My husband wanted a built-in big screen plasma.
I wanted a built-in 140 gal. sw tank.
I got the better deal!
Got Water? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #198
Aquarium Advice Addict
Neilan told me that I had to!
"...but the guy at the LFS said I needed it!"
SparKy697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #199
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well i guess its my turn to tell my story.

When i was little i always had a fasination with fish mostly fresh water.. and mostly what was in the river in the back yard. my first real fish keeping experence was when my older cousin was baby sitting me. and we had one of those rubber pools where the sides are solid but only held up by the water inside. about 2 ft deep and 10-15 ft wide... well the night earlier i emptied the water... the next day i started from 7 am till 8 pm bringing buckets of river water to my pool... my parents didnt think anything of it figured it was just me screwing around like i always was.. well the next day when my cousin came over i spent the day catching fish from the river (perch sunfish a small pike small bass... about 30 frogs) and releasing them into my pool... needless to say i wasent allowd to go fishing with my older cousin anymore.... still have pictures my mom took of the pool and the fish in it...

anyways since that day ive been hooked. always had some kind of fish around whether it was a tank full of guppies or a bowl with a beta.. to my recent gift a 29 gal biocube...

Brad.Sedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #200
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just the mere idea of housing/creating part of what is really out there in the oceans. All the life that is in one section of a reef. So beautiful and amazing. I took a trip to Hawaii and on Maui we took a boat to a reef/snorkel area and that is when I realized....I want one!!! hahaha yea!!!

GhostKnife is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef aquarium, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com