Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #261
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My husband. Well he didn't make me... He nagged until I gave in. And then he made it seem imperative that we buy a 125 gallon to replace the 75 gallon he had for less than 3 weeks. Now we also have a 30 gallon QT running. I am 100% positive that we will not NEED another tank and if he brings one home ... He needs to plan to live in it.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #262
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smile

I've been Scuba diving for 20 years and keeping fresh water fsih for 25 years. I was always afraid to switch to a reef because of the work, but a buddy at the LFS talked me into the conversion. Just at the fledgling point (FOWLR), but I'm addicted. He'll keep me patient, but I can't wait to expand. Reading and watching everyone in this site's progress makes me want everythign now, bu tI'll do my best to be a responsible reef tank owner.

125 gl (72.5x18.5x22), 33 breeder tank sump, 3 maxspect led, Diablo protein skimmer, 1"live sand base, 175lbs live rock, 2 Orange Clowns, 1 yellow tang, lawnmower blenny,several mushrooms and leather corals, a couple small acro's and a standard cuc. Tank transferred from 55 on 24 Dec 2011
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #263
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I've always been amazed and fascinated that one could actually have a beautiful living coral reef in their living room,... To this day I'm still in awe of their beauty every time I see one,.... Years ago when I started going to Hawaii for my yearly get away,,I took up snorkeling and became fascinated watching their under sea world, especially the humuhumu's,...little did I imagine that years later I'd have a budding reef aquarium complete with corals with my humuhumu's too,.... Fascinating, never thought I could do it!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #264
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I always loved reef tanks but thought they were to hard to take care of and was afraid to try! I'm taking things nices and slow....started with live rock, a few pieces at a time, then got brave and bought a few mushroom which are doing wonderful! Haven't added anything more....taking it slow and easy. I hate to see anything die. Looking at the pics of everyones reef tanks on AA makes my tank look, well cheap but hopefully in the comings months my tank will look great to!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #265
Aquarium Advice Addict

I started with a 75gal FW african chiclids. A couple of endangered species. I loved the colors, but soon got bored with it. After talking to several LFS and doing research I decided to challenge myself with a reef tank. Its a 90gal with sump. It know has several soft corals, 2 "true" clowns, 6 line wrasse, and a long tentacle ame.... Trying to convince the wife to let me get 150 gal if I sell my FW tank. But just found out we are expecting, so it will be on hold for now....
Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #266
Aquarium Advice Addict

Growing up we had a (10) gallon FW aquarium with some boring kissing fish, a goldfish that I won in boyscouts and a pleco. I never really cared much about it as I was about 8-12 when we had it and I never gave much though until highschool. When I was (16) I got a job working at Outdoor World Bass Pro Shops, in Auburn Hills, MI. They have a 125,000 gallon FW aquarium or something like that, and I would watch every day and dream about having a GIANT aquarium. I started talking to people about fish and they started telling me about Gars and arrowanas and other big fish. I started doing hours and hours of research on MFK, and found a 180 gallon pre-drilled with stand 75 gallon refugium / sump, pump, sea swirls, mag float, afor $500. I saved up quick and drove to Ohio and bought it. I thought I had looked into everything. Cost of start-up / maintance / equipment, etc. I bring it home, to my parents house and we put it in my bedroom. The monster. It was only after about (3) weeks when I decided to add water that I started asking about the weight factor. Well needless to say, it never got filled. The tank was huge and it followed me to my first apt, luckily I had a two - bedroom where it became the temporary home of a Kentucky box turtle for almost two years before I released her back into the wild. (3) years later, about two months ago, I moved again. Another two-bedroom, but I didn't feel like getting this thing down four flights of stairs again. I put in on CL for $200, and only had (2) serious inquiries. Both people that showed up were not prepared for the size of this AG tank. I finally gave it away, one week before I moved to a friend / coworker who placed it in his basement, and is in the process of adding livestock. We're going to get his 1st Gar on Saturday.

After I gave away my tank, I immediately felt empty (like the tank). I started looking on CL for my dream SW tank. After looking for about (2) days I found a "Deal" on a 54 gallon bowfront corner aquarium with all the fixins for $400. I was sold. Brought the tank home, added back the LR, water, and fish (4 green chromis) and took off. This past weekend I added my "1st" fish - a Flame angel, and Tuesday I went back and bought my 1st coral - a Hammer coral. The whole thing is beautiful. In (4) weeks, I haven't watched Netflix for more than 30 minutes and usually 15 of those I'm distracted on AA or watching the tank!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #267
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Always wanted 2 things since i was a kid!!!

1) a 30 gallon hexa tank with a single pair of Longsnout Seahorses
2) a fish pond in my backyard.

I have a 10 gal with some guppies and some live plants (female guppies only) and a 20 gal community tank with some more plants and guppies and 2 plecos. 2-5 gal mini tanks with betta fish and one 10 gal also with betta fish.

im here to try and learn the proper way to keep my saltwater seahorse 30 gal tank! i get scared sometimes when i hear how expensive and how difficult it is to keep but as soon as i get my hands on that 30 gal tank im on my way to get my seahorses!! hoping to learn alot from all of you, please guide me!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #268
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaHippocampus View Post
Always wanted 2 things since i was a kid!!!

1) a 30 gallon hexa tank with a single pair of Longsnout Seahorses
2) a fish pond in my backyard.

I have a 10 gal with some guppies and some live plants (female guppies only) and a 20 gal community tank with some more plants and guppies and 2 plecos. 2-5 gal mini tanks with betta fish and one 10 gal also with betta fish.

im here to try and learn the proper way to keep my saltwater seahorse 30 gal tank! i get scared sometimes when i hear how expensive and how difficult it is to keep but as soon as i get my hands on that 30 gal tank im on my way to get my seahorses!! hoping to learn alot from all of you, please guide me!
I have two ponds in my back yard (one full of koi) and I am here to tell you, they are just as much work as the SW tank I started about 6 weeks ago. But, my wife loves them. Both ponds and the SW tank were presents for her.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #269
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got in to for the fact that i love the ocean but i dont live by one so i brought the ocean to me
Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #270
Aquarium Advice Addict

i had just set up a 10 gallon tropical tank...i had to go to petco to get some fish supplies and i walked past the saltwater fish section. i remember myself thinking that you can't get that type of beauty with freshwater... so i went for it.

Tags
reef, reef aquarium, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com