Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2003, 02:48 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist

There was a LFS next door to my gym. I went in every time I worked out. I was hooked but broke. I started with a nano but now have a 75g as well and I had a peacock mantis in it's own tank.

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:55 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was sitting on my porch throwing hundred dollars bills in the wind and thought.. hey.. I need to add aggravation to this to make it fun. Thus the idea of a reef tank. Now I have it all. Dropping hundreds like there from the monopoly board, aggravation and frustration every time I something dies, and my time is no longer my own. If Im not testing the water Im reading up on where my livestock needs to be to be happy or surfing this site for ideas. I think I need professional help because it just doesnt get any better then seeing a tank Ive made come to life grow and improve with time...... :P

Old 11-22-2003, 04:56 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My wife and I have always had a love affair with the ocean. We love the ocean an are enchanted by what you can not see in the water from land. A reef tank is like having a little piece of the ocean in our home.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

ROFL - Reefobsessed - you crack me up!

My story is that my boyfriend desperately wants a "nemo." This is a 34 year-old doctor, mind you. Anyway, as one of his Christmas presents I am setting up a nano-reef in our house... with a clown and some soft corals.

(He already complains that I spend way to much time and money on my FW tank... just wait until he sees how much time and money the nano-reef is going to suck up!)
Old 11-25-2003, 10:41 PM   #55

Send a message via AIM to deejay
My main reason is because I got bored with freshwater. I've had them for 6 or more years. I worked my way up to a 30 gal tank and decided freshwater for enough for me. I went onto ebay, found a 75 gal saltwater tank in the state, called him, looked at it bought it. Took me awhile to set up and get everything settled before I got any live rock and fish. I love saltwater. Everyone told me that saltwater tanks were hard as can be, but I would have to disagree. I haven't have one problem yet and I've had it for 6 months. Tank changes are crazy, because its such a big tank. I'd really like to have a larger one around 100 gallons.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:08 PM   #56

Send a message via AIM to lordviporscorpi
because im so damb rich heheheheheeh
Old 12-02-2003, 12:09 PM   #57

Send a message via AIM to lordviporscorpi
J/k dont get mad but they just plain out look cool and well i like spending money
Old 12-06-2003, 12:03 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to come clean here... I have always liked aquariums like in baltimore and pittsburgh.. and to be honest I hate freshwater.. had them growing up just didnt' get it .. silver fish very boring.. more for my sister...well to be honest after getting married about a year ago and all my buddies still hanging out in bars everynight (I was the first one to go down) I needed something to do... and a buddy told me about your site and the cool galleries... I trolled it for about 2 months never saying a word but reading and learning all I could... Then one day It dawned on me... I don't know anyone who does this but you guys help each other sooo much... if I could get your help I could do this..and well here I am a week into my cycle and honestly you all have exceeded my expatitaions as far as help goes you guys have been great... and now I have a buddy considering getting in based on my rock alone... wait till I get fish
Old 12-07-2003, 08:06 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to MINIATUS
Hey Johnny
After having fresh water tanks for 40 years I decided to give salt a try, thought I di try one back in 1975-76. I was told by using a product called Nitroquick I could put fish in there in about 2 days. Tell that to the panther grouper and queen trigger. That turned me off until a few years ago when I was given a salt tank by my wife, been hooked ever since.

MINIATUS
Old 12-17-2003, 11:47 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

i was really into freshwater as a teenager. got up to 8 or so tanks all biotopes plus one saltwater tank. actually worked for a few years in a small fish store whilst in college. experimented with sumps and all kind of things including a diy chiller (email me for instructions). made one more move and said thats enough. sold everything at the flea market. you should of seen the guy who bought it all i thought he was going to wet his pants he got so excited (another junkie). havent had a tank since.
was going to buy one and do saltwater right. always wanted a reef tank after seeing the new installation at the zoo 15 years ago or so. had wave machines, you should have seen my experiments in designing one of those . so my next door neighbor gets paralyzed in may after a motorcycle accident and the lfs has a raffle at one of the fund raisers and guess what? here i am.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reef, reef aquarium, aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com