What made you want a REEF aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My neightbor he started me with a freshwater tank because I liked his oscar so much so all I did was trim his hedges and a 55 gal tank was given to me. Then he move to NC and then moved back. We got to talking he said he started a reef. I said I would like to start one once my oscar passes. Well unfortunetly he died of hole in the head bad gold fish I presume water was in check. So I sold the 55 and bought a 65 for the extra width. And I was off! Bought some LR from the LFS then went only for 50lbs via eBay. Fist order got lost came to me in 2 weeks it was dead had to send it back then got new shipment. It game in 3 days this time. And the rest is history a lot of up and downs of not wanting on after having to learn the ropes and the problems cyno hair algea and everything else that could so wrong has. But now my tank has been stable for 7 months and there is no turning back!

Umm, guess my friends tank got me started so i got mum to get me a 75gal for a first tank and i am now saving up to get a 8x4x4 custom made for a sharky.

I have always like SW tanks, never though I could make one. After having 2 FW tanks with peacful and africans, I decided to take the plunge with my 10g tank. Now Im addicted!

I started with a fish only saltwater tank and was getting bored quick since it was only a 30 gallon system and I couldnt keep the really exciting fish I wanted. I quickly realised that in the reef world I could keep all kinds of neat stuff.

It wasn't my idea, at first!

We received a call from a family friend (FF) for many years. They were in the process of moving to another town and told us they couldn't take their fish tank. The only fish they had was a FW sucker that must have been 5+ years old. It was huge. I reluctantly agreed since my wife didn't want to hurt their feelings. The tank was a 20 gal hex made of plexi glass with a home made base. We asked the FF if other fish could be kept with the huge sucker (it was our first fish tank). The FF said you could but the sucker may eat the other fish. We set up the tank and headed off to the LFS. As fate would have it, we ran into another friend at the LFS while we were there. They were getting suckers for their pond. We informed them of our new huge friend and said we would let them use him for their pond. We had a lot of explaining to do when the FF came by to visit their sucker. I assured them he was much better off in the 8x4 pond than in a 20 gal tank. It sure was awkward. After having the tank for about 6 months and many more trips to the LFS, we were hooked on fish. We decided to buy a new home and during the move decided the hex had seen better days and went to the LFS to buy a new one. We ended up with a 29 gal and set it up FW at first. My kids were bugging us for a Nemo fish and we told them we can't have a Nemo because they were SW. After many many many many many more requests I told them fine. I took the FW fish out, added salt, bought a damsel, and you guessed it, it died. I then let the darn thing sit there with nothing in it for at least 6 months. My wife started bugging me about the empty tank with black algea and asked if I would please clean it up. So, I did. I took all the FW stuff out cleaned the tank and started all over with SW in mind. I am very far from knowing much about this hobby, but, I have a 1 month old SW tank with live rock 2 damsels, 1 clown (NEMO), about a dozen snails and a dozen hermits. The first thing we do when we wake up is check out the tank and the last thing we do before bed is check out the tank. We are very excited about it and look forward to adding a reef.

Hi all! new to the forum so I thought this would be a great spot for my first post here.

I spent my youth on and in the ocean from San Diego south to Cabo San Lucas. I love the ocean and its tranquility. I joined the Army and went into Special Forces for many years. During one tour that took me to Germany and the 10th S.F. Group I went to the Kolle Zoo(cant remember if that was the spelling) and I witnessed the incredible 1000 - 5000 gallon reef tanks they had. I was amazed at 2 story aquariums with corals growing like mad (remember this was 12 years ago). I started helping them care for the shop aquariums in exchange for coral frags. I started with a used 50 gal long and within 4 years I had no less than 9 SW aquariums ranging from 1 gal to 110 gal.

after my 6th year there I decided to return to the states and gave all of my fish corals and equipment to some of the greatest teachers you could have in reefkeeping. Germany was way ahead of the U.S. at that point imho.

Once getting back here I took a hiatus from reefkeeping but last year I went ahead and started a 90 gal FOWLS but since I never added many fish (and always reef safe ones) I am pretty sure the reason was DEEP down inside I want my lil piece of the reef back. I am just about to start adding the first stages.

Best Wishes!

Mark

I was a bachelor for about 10 years, never having the pleasure of anything else "living" in my apartments with me (other than plants) and decided that the beauty of a saltwater aquarium and some fish would be a wonderful addition to my bedroom. I chose the largest tank that would look right against the wall across from the foot of my bed (72 gallon) and I choose a bowfront for the way it makes the tank look bigger and more spectacular.

I was also hoping that the saltwater atmosphere in my bedroom would help with my alergies. I have moved one time now, successfully moving the entire tank into my fiancee's house, and we absolutely love the atmosphere that it brings to our bedroom.

It all started out with a Betta Fighter Fish that I picked up for my girlfriend in August of 2005. She had this little 2.5 gallong tank and the fish was swimming and always catching our attention. So I decided I wanted to get into Freshwater and my brother who has been doing this for over 15 years said to me "Don't go freshwater that is for girls. You want something that will make anyone that comes into your home mouth drop to the floor go Marine." Ever since then I decided to take the plunge. I have had a succesfull setup with minor setbacks here and their since then. I would never think of taking my tank down. :D

Well, I have lived with a house full of pets all of my life while growing up. When I graduated and moved out of the house, my mother got me an African red spotted tortoise as a gift. We named her gloria, and she could fit in the palm of my hand when we got her. She was my first tank mate of my own. My mother has always had FW tanks everywhere in the house, along with dogs, cats, birds, rabbit, hampsters, frogs and much more if I sat down and thought about it. Anyway, When I left town for an undergraduate degree, I wanted to leave my tortoise with my mother for she would be able to take great care of her while I would be busy with school and work. My mother spoils her rotten by the way! I'm in no hurry to get her back for I'm still in school and have a baby boy on the way. Gloria will out live me and my child, so when I have a home of my own I will proudly take her back. So for the last four years of my life, I have lived in apartments and am not allowed any pets other than those that are tank compatable. When my mother took Gloria, she traded me her 40 gal. tank she had set aside to someday convert into a SW tank. I had it sitting in my apartment for two years before I decided to do something about it. I was in my lfs one day, and I walked by a lion fish. I had never seen one before but I knew I wanted one right there and then. The lfs told me that one lion in a 40 gal. would be ok and I believed him so I got the fish along with a puffer and now they are my non-naging friends. Now that I found AA, I'm trying to improve my friends home and get my mother's tank back to her so she can join the fun! This site is a blast and I'm glad I found it! :D

I needed a hobby, not only to stay busy, but to keep my fiance out of my hair. I could not have picked a better one, it is very relaxing to sit and watch for hours almost as if i were swimming with the fishes (lack of a better word) ha. The thing is, i never dreamed of falling in love with my reef as i have now, almost to an obsessive point of no return. And after all the money and hard work spent, i sit back and daze off to my own world as the quiet hum of the tank puts me to sleep...

Well me story is kind like the rest but in way no.
When 5 My parents trusted my w/ a fw tank(10G)
It only had goldfish in it. I loved it so much i thought the
responsiblity was great. Well as i got older so did the fish they died.

When i was 8 i didnt have any fish. It stayed like that for about 11 years
when my aunt gave me a betta. All of my old feeling came back.
When i was 12 i started breading bettas it gave me a lot to do. Then Around october of that year i saw a acticle that was on nano tanks it was so cool i thought then. Then i december i saw a Ad in the newspaper for a 29 gallon SWA. I Knew what i wanted for christmas.

They thought about we went to go see it and I knew that was it. we bought dec 12 th. And ever since then ive been buying and upgrading my tanks. There have been times when ive been disapointed with the iut come. But Start again later on. These Christmas present has really change my life. I know what career choice taking and it has also made me get Scuba certified both of which is injoying. I hope that everone injoy this hobby like i do.

Great Stories, looks like a mess of animal freaks here ... ya'll ain't alone!

I have always loved animals. I would beg to catch the stray cat eating trash at a restaurant (to no avail). We had many fish growing up and I always liked them. They were all freshwater. I just didn't do much in the lines of keeping them. I would fix tubes and things for my mom, but that is it

About 8 1/2 years ago my brother and I decided to get my parents a present. We both lived at home then. We bought them a 160 g pond for their side yard. We dug that, and got them some gold fish. Nice fantales and things. We got some nice lillies and stuff. Well, after the first probably 2 months, we decided that wasn't big enough, and got another pond, you know I think my size is off I think they are bigger than 120. Either way, they are nice size ponds. Ever since I have just enjoyed working around the pond, watching the fish (we have all but about 3 of the original ones still today).

Then about 7 1/2 years ago, I met someone who had a 55g SW tank. I found the fish awesome. I had seen them in the pet store and always would go and watch them. But our LFS didn't have a big variety, but what she did have was always pretty. Well, I was interested ... just not hooked.

Finding Nemo ... the great movie. My daughter is hooked on Nemo and wanted to end up with a clown and an anemone. My husband wanted a SW tank. Me, I said I'll try it. So we had been cleaning our shed out (from a move a year ago). And wallah, there is my 30 tank my mom had while I was growing up. Tank, stand, and filter. Well we upgraded the filter. Brought it in and I clean the water deposits off it. That was a royal pain. My dh set it up. And over the past 4 months I have come to love the little clowns antics. Now we added a purple tang, and they are comical together. I'd sit and watch them just fascinated.

So we went to a store Fintastics, and I saw what a nice reef tank looked like one in the nanocube. Just the colorful, non-algae covered. I came home that night and began to research nano-reefs, and things for it. Well, dh wanted a BIGGER tank still. I was still torn between the nano, and the big tank, or the 30g to be my reef tank.

I started shopping around, looking for a descent deal on a tank. We'd go look, and I'd just be torn between the nano and the 55 gallon. He wanted a 55. So, one day I had checked the classifieds here locally, and didn't really see much. Well I checked back that afternoon and there sat a deal. I called dh. Tank, Stand, Canopy, PC lights, and Wet/dry for 350. I said I don't think I can get this kind of deal on a 55g. I sent him pics of it. He never got them. Well, that night we headed to pick it up. He never recieved the email with the picture link.

Now we have a 75 gallon tank in our living room, fills a wall beautifully like it is the center-piece of the room. And a 30, about 7 feet away on a wall apart. I am seriously thinking about doing the 75g in a way that will make it possible for me to do reefs, eventually. And maybe in the 30 gallon for the catch what's grown. Maybe the other way around. Either way, I'm hooked. I'm just reading so much and taking it all in. At first it was like Greek, what, what, and what. Now it's all starting to fit together. Look out, here we come.

Oh, we are going to have to do a light upgrade I think in the near future on the 30g. We have a 50/50, and the wattage I have forgot off the top my head ... to get an anemone. That'll make my daughter happy for now. Nemo, he's quite a character. We love SW.

Thanks for all the help here. This is a truly great, and informative site.

Sass

Well... I have a great friend.. the kind you find once or twice in a lifetime. He is my boss, so I see him everyday (for 5 years or so). He's really into things with motors and I'm a geek.. so We had little in common hobby wise (altho we respect and are interested in the each other's hobby).
Well, the GA aquarium was in it's final stages and I mentioned it over beer at the local pub one night.
The guy's eyes lit up like you wouldn't believe and I found out how much fun/tranquility he got out of his tank, but hadn't had one in years.
He got a nice surprise for his birthday (75g and some loot to get started)...and I got bit by the bug (and walked away from the LFS with a 90g)...
Now I'm alot poorer (heh) but have a great hobby/outlet...and another thing in common with a good friend!
That and well... it's fun to play a caring nuturing godling.. I'm building a balanced beautiful world in my glass box... thrilling and great for the soul.

Hello to all.
I am very new to the sw hobby. I have always been interested in exotic animals. I have raised snakes, toads, frogs, many, many, lizards, fw tanks since I was about 11 years old. I have always wanted a sw tank since I can remember. But I always told myself that it was to expensive. And I believe that if you take an animal out of the wild. (every animal is considered wild to me) that you need to make sure that you research everything on that animal and mimic its natural environment the best you possibly can. After all if we expect to keep them for our pleasure than we can atleast make sure that they have everything they need to be healthy and happy. So needless to say I am still in the research stage of sw keeping. This site is wonderful. I am going into this very slowly because I want everything to be right I dont want to put any undo stress on my animals. Anyway I am getting off subject, My birthday was last week and my husband calls me up and says What do you want for your birthday. I said I am not real sure. And to my surprise he said WELL you have always wanted a sw tank. Oh my Gosh! I love that idea. Silly husband thought we would be able to go to the LFS and buy some salt, get some sand from the beach. add a few fish and we would have a sw tank. I have been spending this last week trying to drill (steady) into his head. LOL I am sooo excited about this that I can't sleep I am always thinking of new things that I need to check out. I know that it will be awhile before I can actually add fish and corals and such. But that is fine with me because " slow and steady wins the race"
Anyway just thought I would babble.
Thanx for listening

Ever since my husband & I have been together, we've always made a trip to Florida, sometimes twice a year when possible. Upon one of our first jaunts down there (we're in Arkansas), we went into a LFS and it was primarily salt. It was so amazing- and looking back, it wasn't just awesome because we knew nothing about it, but they Really Did have awesome specimans. My husband is somewhat of a rock, fossil, bug, & generally "critter" fanatic and almost an expert :) at it. I was taken w/the fish, he was totally taken w/the corals. He started talking then, about starting a saltwater tank. This went on from time to time for a couple of years. Finally a guy at his job had a 55g. tank he wanted to sell and practically gave away to us. So we checked w/the LFS we had close to our town at the time- and they kind of got us started. Between that LFS and one in Little Rock (neither one is open anymore!), we got started and established. We look back and realized how many WRONG things we were told, but hey, it's about learning- it wasn't long until we purchased a 100g. tank- eventually got a 75g. w/stand, hood, and all, from an LFS that was closing- and got an exceptional deal- then I "picked up" a 20g. After several years of having "multiple tank syndrome", I got tired of maintaining all of them, and we got a 240g. reef-ready and consolidated all into the one. That's been 8 years. So, ladies out there... it started out my husband talking me into it (because I knew how it would end up being!), but it's become My Hobby! He does the "man-job" stuff, electrical, plumbing, etc. But all the rest, I take care of it all! Don't you know that's how it always is?! But, I LOVE every minute of it- we don't have kids, so I think I get to exercise my nurturing side into my tank and tankmates- it has become my passion- and my husband just likes to sit and watch! :) I recently "picked up" another deal- a 30g. hex tank, to just "play with". hehe- after all this time, here we got again w/multiple tanks. :roll:

When I was little (like 10-12 years ago) I spent a majority of my summer knee deep in the streams behind my house. I would come home with frogs, turtles, salamanders... you name it and kept them for a few days in a big rubbermaid bin. Seeking something a little more permanent, When I turned 8 and had my communion, I convinced my parents let me use my money for a pond in the back yard. So I bought a 150 gallon pond liner and installed it with my dad (he ended up doing most of the work). Learned a lot from the pond (and developed a hatred for great blue herons). Right now the fish I have are going on 5 years old (nothing older, courtesy of the heron). The last two years, my fish have spawned and in order keep as many babies alive as possible, I set up a FW tank in my room. I loved having a tank in my room, and I found it very peaceful to just listen to the water trickling and watch the fish before I fell asleep. The inspiration for a SW tank came one night when I was at a local banquet hall, and they had a large display tank set up. I sat and stared at it with my father for a while, and we decided that we wanted a big tank like that in our new house we were building. I knew that SW was a totally different game from what I had been doing most of my life, and decided to set up a tank in my room for the 10 months or so before we move to the new house, so I could learn the basics before I went and spent like 5 grand on a huge tank. Im learning a lot, and hopefully when I get the big tank it wont be a disaster. Ive found the learning process incredible and I think im hooked for good, I even made it a requirement of the colleges that im looking at to allow fish tanks in the dorms... haha

My story is a little sad but here it is. It was my sevententh birthday and my parents asked me what I wanted. I replied, "my belly button pierced or a puppy". I had been asking for a puppy of my own since I was a little girl. It was number one on every b-day and x-mas list and I was always told no. Well, needless to say I finally got my puppy (I got the belly button ring on my eighteenth b-day :wink: )

I welcomed to my life the most beautiful boston terrier puppy ever. I took her everywhere I went and spoiled her in everyway possible (see post all of your pets in the Lounge). She was in every sense my baby girl.

Well, about two weeks after she turned five she became very sick literally overnight. I took her to the best animal hospital I could find and was ready to spend everything I had to fix her. It turned out her liver was failing and they didn't know why. They ran every test known to man and two day later while waiting on the last two test results to come back I got the phone call. My little Sassy Massy was gone. She went into respiratory arrest around 5 in the morning and they could not resuscitate her.

I had a huge void in my heart and I didn't know what to do or where to turn. It was I believe August when I told my boyfriend that I needed something to care for, something to love. We both agreed that I was not ready to have another dog and I probably won't be for a while. Plus, we have his dog and without a house of our own right now we just aren't in the position to have another one. I thought about it and was really interested in getting a SW aquarium. I had taken care of my cousin's when her and her husband were out of town for a few weeks. I really enjoyed it and found it very interesting.

So my boyfriend agreed to buy the tank and stand to get me started. I have become absolutely addicted to it and who knew you could become so attached to fish, coral, urchins, snails, etc. I have also found this wonderful forum, community, family whatever you use to describe it.

Even though it was extreme heartache that brought me here I am very thankful for it. I have learned many things in the loss of my little mass and I just want to thank everyone here for making me feel so welcome.

Ditto on the beginnings with FW tanks here too. My SW adventure started when I went to visit a friend of mine. I was going to buy some rims (I am a car guy too) from his roommate. He had the rims stacked in his room and in one corner sat a ten gallon tank. The tank was about half full of water and so brown you couldn't see the back of the tank. There were these little things crawling all over the place inside (Pods) that I thought they were baby shrimp. As I was being fascinated by the baby shrimp something swam by the front glass! I jumped back and said "Dude what do you have in there?" He said a clown fish and a damsel. I am waiting for them to die so I can get rid of the tank. I said how much for the tank and the rest is history. From there I went to a 29g, 55g, and now my 150g. I never did buy the rims!

Back
Top Bottom