Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2004, 06:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What makes a good skimmer?

Since I'm once again skimmer shopping I can't help but wonder what makes a high dollar skimmer better than a $50 ebay skimmer. Almost all the skimmers I can find be it a euro-reef, turboflotor, or other are venturi driven and from the looks should work the same. Some have different shaped chambers (prizm ), but function-wise are the same. The exception seems to be the aqu c brand with its water jet.

So really, what's the difference between them?

Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Venturi skimmers are quite noisy for one.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess how easy it is to setup and maintain is important. And how much skimmate it produces. I really have very limited knowledge since I just purchased my first skimmer not too long ago. I got a Remora C skimmer because it got good reviews from folks who have used other skimmers in the past. I also wanted a no fuss skimmer to install and didn't want to be tweaking it or adding mods to make it work better. So i dished out a little more dough and got the Remora. The install to get it working correctly is pretty much just place the skimmer where you want it and plug the bad boy in.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah, my Prizm is loud, and it finally did it's "oh, you adjusted me a fraction too high...so I'm gonna over-fill the cup in 20 minutes" trick.
I'm pretty much planning to get a CPR bak-pak by the end of the year. It'll fit a little nicer too.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:34 PM   #5

Basically it comes down to bubbles production. All skimmers produce bubbles but some produce more than others. And by a signifigant amount!Also some bubbles are smaller than others. The smallr the bubble the better. Material that the skimmer is made from also pays a big role in price and durability! Botom line is you will get what you pay for. I think the best deals going right now for a skimmer is the AquaC EV series.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How does the urchin pro and the ev's compare. Preferably something in the plug in and leave alone categories. Bear in mind I don't really want to drop a grand on a skimmer.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Indy
Look at Darrins website (captivereefs.com) and compare. His prices are very reasonable. All of the Aqua C's are easy to install and they are plug in and leave alone...I have 2 Aqua C's.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I bought the CPR Bak Pak 2R based on its good reviews and I am quite happy with it. Its simple, easy to maintain, and very quite considering the millions of bubbles shooting through it.

If I were you, I would look into either the CPR Bak Pak 2R or the Aqua C Remora. both are very highly rated.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
save for a aqua C Remora, you won't be disapointed....

Why settle for something when in a few more weeks u can get one of the best...
Old 09-13-2004, 02:10 PM   #10

The EV is a more powerful skimmer than the Urchin because it uses a larger pump and reaction chamber. For a Hang on The Aqua C skimmers are by far the best!

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com