Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will look into that reef rock, thanks!
As for any new fish, I believe I will wait until I move and upgrade to a new tank. I know it does not look like it, but there is a lot of caves in the back of the tank behind the rocks. There is more rock behind the rocks, but a few more caves can't hurt!

I got a ton of filtration. I got a wet/dry, and a fluval 206, and a marineland 350. I had the marineland and fluval so I figured why not. The wet/dry is my main. I also got a skimmer. Plus at least 120 pounds of rock. So one pound of rock per gallon, and all my sand is live now. I got a 3in sand bed.

As for my ICH problem, I treated before I put any coral in.

I am going to be moving all my fish to a bigger tank. So I think I will hold off on any more fish for now.

As for a wrasse and another angel, wouldn't they kill one another? I was told you could only have one of each.
I would love another six line and a flame angel. I do want another flame hawk fish, my last one jumped out. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree that it is a good idea to wait until you set up your new tank before adding additional fish. As far as adding an additional dwarf angel or wrasse, you generally cannot have more than one dwarf angel but you can have several wrasses. I have three wrasses in my tank a dusky, a mystery and a tamarin wrasse. It helps if they are different sizes and you do not want two of the same species.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So maybe, just maybe I can squeeze a six line wrasse in? I would love to have one again. My last one jumped from my 55 gallon. :-(

Both my hawkish and sixline jumped. I would love both back.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would think so. I'm not a big fan of glass covers (your tank will run hotter and oxygenation is not as good) but you could consider an eggshell crate type of cover (available in the lighting section of your local hardware store) to keep your fish from jumping out. Not a bad choice if you have a hood on your tank or are otherwise ok with the visual look.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got egg crate already. The issue is, I got so much equipment running into the tank, the back is almost open. I took the he lid off and now it's just an open top with the egg crate as the he only lid.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Any hawk fish will take advantage of any opening in the top to jump out. They are crazy accurate jumpers.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

The two dwarfs in a 120 could work, but there is always the chance that they fight. The thing I've learned over the years is that there is a lot of "by the book", but our fish don't read that book so there are endless exceptions. I've seen several people with multiple dwarf angels, even large angels, in bigger tanks. I'm guessing there were issues along the way though and all had lots of rock to give everyone plenty of holes to duck into.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I've had three at a time in my 300 with no issues for many years, but my reef has dozens of tunnels and hiding holes.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Agreed! If I want more Angels, a bigger tank and more rock is needed.

So how can I stop a Hawk Fish, or any fish from jumping? It's almost impossible to cover the whole tank with all the equipment that is needed.

I had two true perc clownfish, flame hawkish and a sixline jump.

I have been told it's all because of stress and bad water quality. My water checks out fine with all my testing. So how can that be? So far I have had 4 deaths because of jumping, 1 death that came from no where with no signs or issues, and two from ICH.

I had a Singapore Angel fish that died from what seemed like nothing! I fed the fish, watched them all eat including the Angel. I go get a drink and come back down and he was laying on the sand bed hunched. He died a few hours later in my hospital tank. Out of all my deaths, I wish I knew what killed that one.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:51 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I use clear mesh and try to cover everything. They can jump thru a hole just slightly bigger than they are. If you can't cover the top effectively, I would take fish that jump off your list as they rarely stay put.

Tags
fish, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com