What new fish should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My coral and tank is doing well. I had a die off of fish about three months ago. :-(. My Singapore Angelfish (which was eating, and not hiding) died out of no where, than my yellow eye tang got ICH out of no where and died, I believe he passed it on to my blue spotted puffer and it died. Now I am left with just five fish.

1. Yellow Tang
2. Black Clown Fish
3. Coral Beauty
4. Lyretail Wrasse
5. Yellow Fox Face

You can see my whole tank and fish in the picture I added. It's a 120 long.

I am going to add a "Devils Hand" first, and a "Frog Spawn". My "Candy Cane Coral" is doing well so I have all the confidence that a "Frog Spawn" will do well.

I am just wondering what fish to add. I want to add at least three more fish, but I want to make sure they will be compatible. I was thinking a dwarf lion fish, but my fear would be he will cramp the tank and make less swim space for my other fish. I am going to be upgrading, just don't know to what. I want a Blue Hippo Tang, so I think my next and last upgrade will be a 210. It will be at least a year and a half before I upgrade.

.[

ATTACH]260777[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421020398.698631.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421020371.780420.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421020371.780420.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 121
Did you do anything to treat the Ich? If not, it will be there waiting for new additions (if they don't have it already), so I would be concerned about that. It just does not appear from nowhere and once it's in your tank, it does not just disappear. It would be nice if it did, but it 'a a parasite and it doesn't work that way.

Assuming that is all under control, I would go with another dwarf angel of some kind, a wrasse and a hawk. All three have so many great possibilities, I'd say leave it up to whatever grabs you.

The dwarf Lionfish idea could work too. They are not very active.

If I were you I would invest first in a lot more live rock (double your current amount) and then look at various rock and cave dwellers like a flame hawkish or a Midas Blenny.

Another wrasse would be a good choice too. I'd stay away from another dwarf angel such as a flame angel as it may fight with your coral beauty.

Sorry, I did not see the CB on the list. I rescind my dwarf angel idea. :)

You don't have nearly enough rock work for many of the fish you listed to feel safe. This effects their immune systems and opens them up to infections. Almost all tangs will require overhangs and shallow caves to hide and sleep in to feel safe.

Assuming you already have enough filtration you could just get some brs reef saver dry rock. It will provide adequate shelter for your fish without breaking the bank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Assuming you already have enough filtration you could just get some brs reef saver dry rock. It will provide adequate shelter for your fish without breaking the bank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's the kind I got - great price for great rock. I love it :) Super easy to lock into each other and stack.

I will look into that reef rock, thanks!
As for any new fish, I believe I will wait until I move and upgrade to a new tank. I know it does not look like it, but there is a lot of caves in the back of the tank behind the rocks. There is more rock behind the rocks, but a few more caves can't hurt!

I got a ton of filtration. I got a wet/dry, and a fluval 206, and a marineland 350. I had the marineland and fluval so I figured why not. The wet/dry is my main. I also got a skimmer. Plus at least 120 pounds of rock. So one pound of rock per gallon, and all my sand is live now. I got a 3in sand bed.

As for my ICH problem, I treated before I put any coral in.

I am going to be moving all my fish to a bigger tank. So I think I will hold off on any more fish for now.

As for a wrasse and another angel, wouldn't they kill one another? I was told you could only have one of each.
I would love another six line and a flame angel. I do want another flame hawk fish, my last one jumped out. :-(

I agree that it is a good idea to wait until you set up your new tank before adding additional fish. As far as adding an additional dwarf angel or wrasse, you generally cannot have more than one dwarf angel but you can have several wrasses. I have three wrasses in my tank – a dusky, a mystery and a tamarin wrasse. It helps if they are different sizes and you do not want two of the same species.

So maybe, just maybe I can squeeze a six line wrasse in? I would love to have one again. My last one jumped from my 55 gallon. :-(

Both my hawkish and sixline jumped. I would love both back.

I would think so. I'm not a big fan of glass covers (your tank will run hotter and oxygenation is not as good) but you could consider an eggshell crate type of cover (available in the lighting section of your local hardware store) to keep your fish from jumping out. Not a bad choice if you have a hood on your tank or are otherwise ok with the visual look.

I got egg crate already. The issue is, I got so much equipment running into the tank, the back is almost open. I took the he lid off and now it's just an open top with the egg crate as the he only lid.

Any hawk fish will take advantage of any opening in the top to jump out. They are crazy accurate jumpers.

The two dwarfs in a 120 could work, but there is always the chance that they fight. The thing I've learned over the years is that there is a lot of "by the book", but our fish don't read that book so there are endless exceptions. I've seen several people with multiple dwarf angels, even large angels, in bigger tanks. I'm guessing there were issues along the way though and all had lots of rock to give everyone plenty of holes to duck into.

I've had three at a time in my 300 with no issues for many years, but my reef has dozens of tunnels and hiding holes.

Agreed! If I want more Angels, a bigger tank and more rock is needed.

So how can I stop a Hawk Fish, or any fish from jumping? It's almost impossible to cover the whole tank with all the equipment that is needed.

I had two true perc clownfish, flame hawkish and a sixline jump.

I have been told it's all because of stress and bad water quality. My water checks out fine with all my testing. So how can that be? So far I have had 4 deaths because of jumping, 1 death that came from no where with no signs or issues, and two from ICH.

I had a Singapore Angel fish that died from what seemed like nothing! I fed the fish, watched them all eat including the Angel. I go get a drink and come back down and he was laying on the sand bed hunched. He died a few hours later in my hospital tank. Out of all my deaths, I wish I knew what killed that one.

I use clear mesh and try to cover everything. They can jump thru a hole just slightly bigger than they are. If you can't cover the top effectively, I would take fish that jump off your list as they rarely stay put.

Back
Top Bottom