what now ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podman1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys I think i may now the answer to my own question...but here goes, i just had a really bad cynao, i got rid of cyno but now hair alge is takeing over is it just because the dead cyo and should i just keep doing what im doing or what??

Exactly, what are your water parameters? How much are you feeding and when? What is your light schedule? ( how many hours are they on?) what type of water are you using? Usually problem algae is caused by excess nutrients in the water ( phosphate / nitrate ) and sometimes excessive light. Cyano is from a lack of flow as well. Readings will help us help you. PWC with RO/DI water will help as well.

I use 5 stage RO/DI system 5gal weekly change out (72gal bow front 20gal sump/refug.) PH 8.3, AMM. 0, NIT0, Nitrate < .50, feed once a week, light 12hrs on 12 hrs off

I would up the PWCs to 10G a week and reduce lighting to maybe 10 hours and see where that gets you.

I agree with Scott as far as more PWC and cutting back the lighting to 8 hours a day for awhile. Both of these are fueled by excessive nutrients so we need to find out where it`s coming from. The nitrates are fueling it as well as your coralvite maybe also.

Do you have any fish? Once a week feedings is sort of inhumane IMHO!!!

I feed meat (shrimp ,ect) once a week i feed alge/flake 2 times a week since 90% of my fish require veg. diet....I should of given you more facts so YHO!! would of been bit more informed sorry

Dont worry about it. Feeding every other day is good in this situation. Variety is always good.

Back
Top Bottom