What order to plumb equipment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know my UV should be last in line, just before returning to the tank. As for the rest (wet/dry, Skimmer) in what order does the water flow?

I 'm thinking, from the exit point, the water first enters my wet/dry, then the skimmer, then the UV, correct? Or, should the skimmer be first?

Also, since I have a FOwLR setup, should I ad any bio-media to the wet/dry chamber? TIA

Lots of info laying around the forum on some of your questions. I will do the best I can. Add some LR rubble to your wet/dry to help keep the nitrates at their lowest. My sump has an outside skimmer so the water goes from the sump...to the skimmer and then back to the sump before going out to the tank via the return. I don't have my UV set up but it will depend on what kind of UV you have set up. You could set it up by itself using a powerhead that will put the water in the UV and then back into the tank. Shoot some more information about whether you have an in sump skimmer...hang on UV so we can try to piece it all together for you.

The skimmer is not hang on. It's a typical venturi style, in-sump, out-of-sump skimmer (off brand). The UV is a Turbo-Twist in-line UV.

My wet/dry can be used as a sump but it's a little tight in there. No sure yet if the skimmer will fit. Thanks again.

I forgot to bring my camera but I will post the pics when I get home ( I finally took some time to take pics of all 3 tanks). I have a pic of my out of sump skimmer that will probably be what you end up doing. Mine was a little to tight as well. I don't remember what UV I have but I do believe that it's a trubo twist as well which when I had it on my 29 I hung it on the back...ran a powerhead to get water in and then placed some tubing at the top for it to return to the tank. Not the prettiest setup but I am still figuring out how I am going to do it on the 180...either hang it on the back or in sump. Either way I am not sure if it matters....you should have the water go wet/dry....UV or skimmer....skimmer or UV....back to tank. IMO of course

Thanks the21kid! I have been told (makes sense) that to keep the bulb in the UV clean(er) place it and the last point, just prior to return. Keeping the UV clean will maximize its effectivness.

Here here...Cheers to that...it does make sense. I will do some staring at my tank tonight to see if I can figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom