Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

What salt and why?

I want to know what brand salt everybody is using and Why. One of the most important parts of this thread is Why. So state your brand and explain why you are using it. We should be able to show this to new people in SW aquaria to help them see our opinions and they can choose from there. Keep it civil and remember it`s everybody`s opinion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

For the past 10+ years I have used Instant Ocean because it remains relatively inexpensive and keeps water chemistries within an acceptable range for reef aquaria.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I also have had a SW reef tank for 10 yrs now and I have used Oceanic Salt about the last 7 yrs. I like the fact that I can keep my calcium where it needs to be with just PWC`s. IMO it does a good job of replenishing trace elements also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
I use Instant Ocean because it is used by everyone i know personally. Highly recommended stuff.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
For about 15 yrs I used Red Sea. I now use Red Sea Coral Pro because I have a high ca-alk consumption reef and this salt is high in ca and alk right out of the box. I also like it because it is a natural, not synthetic, sea salt.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ive used oceanic for two years. When I first started the two options that I had locally were Oceanic and Instant Ocean and I heard for people having Cyano out breaks with IO but who knows if that is actually true (seems a little far fetched to me). Oceanic has worked fine for me, so if it works don't fix it, IMO.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

During setup I read a few threads just like this one and it seemed at the time that reef crystals was recommended the most, therefore I chose to use reef crystals.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use Tropic Marin. My tank is extremely stable and i have never had any problems with water chemistry. I've used it since day one because i heard many good things about it when i was getting into the hobby.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Still pretty new to SW, but I use Instant Ocean. The price was decent, it came recommended by many as a good budget salt, and it comes in a nice bucket. So far, so good.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same as Chase33... before setting up my tank, I researched and researched about salt brands. Decided that Reef Crystals seemed to have the fewest complaints about it so started with that. Have stuck with it for nearly a year now because I haven't had any problems. No algae issues, stable pH, no cyano - just nice sparkling clear water.

I wish it had higher Ca, but realize that it's always a trade off. Plus... I'm kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of guy.

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com