What salt are you using?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't like how io product mixed up, and the alk/calc wasn't where I wanted it to be for my sps. It works, I won't deny it. I just take the approach on my tank of avoiding cheap equipment as I've had issues in the past. I get that feel from how it mixes up.

I use a different salt mix every time. Whatever is cheaply priced for the most part. Oceanic, RC, Kent, Coralife, Red Sea, .....My theory is, what one salt lacks, the other makes up for.
All of those brands are under 50 bucks here. I just got a 200 gallon box of Coralife for $36.99.

I have only ever used oceanic.. 200g bucket for 60$... Calcium and alk levels are pretty high.. I read before that with instant ocean you have to dose calcium often.... My tank sits at 500 calcium...

I have same results.

I use a different salt mix every time. Whatever is cheaply priced for the most part. Oceanic, RC, Kent, Coralife, Red Sea, .....My theory is, what one salt lacks, the other makes up for.
All of those brands are under 50 bucks here. I just got a 200 gallon box of Coralife for $36.99.

Where do you buy your salts?

Regular Instant Ocean works fine for me. Been using it for over 25 yrs.
fts_3-24-13.jpg

I like this theory, I may adopt it. Have you ever noticed significant differences between the various brands?

I currently use Reef Crystals, but this may be a dumb ?. But has anyone ever mixed the different salt brands together to try to achieve thier desired target. Simply just mixing like 2 or four brands in salt form before the RO water. Would it make that big of a difference?

I don't think there's much difference in the leading brands. I have used reef crystals and instant ocean for decades. I like reef crystals best because it contains more calcium and dissolves better, also doesn't seem to clump up as bad. I think they all will do a fine job.

I like this theory, I may adopt it. Have you ever noticed significant differences between the various brands?
Just that IO, RC, and Seachem, leave a brown residue in my mixing barrel. None of the others do this. I still use them sporadically though.

Just that IO, RC, and Seachem, leave a brown residue in my mixing barrel. None of the others do this. I still use them sporadically though.

I still don't get that residue, it still puzzles me that some get it and some don't. Still good salt as the residue must be a bit of clay left over from the mining process.

I still don't get that residue, it still puzzles me that some get it and some don't. Still good salt as the residue must be a bit of clay left over from the mining process.

Same here with the coral pro salt
But only get the brown stuff when I leave the barrel empty after making saltwater.
I fill it up with freshwater now and dont leave it empty which solved that problem

Same here with the coral pro salt
But only get the brown stuff when I leave the barrel empty after making saltwater.
I fill it up with freshwater now and dont leave it empty which solved that problem

I also leave my barrel full of fresh water. There may be something to that.

I don't understand why that would make a difference. Meanwhile, I do fill my barrel with R.O. water immediately after a water change. I always like a large water change ready just in case.

I don't understand why that would make a difference. Meanwhile, I do fill my barrel with R.O. water immediately after a water change. I always like a large water change ready just in case.

Same here. I thought the drying out part might be relevant. But you said it settled on the power head and everything. Don't know. Still a mystery. I get a bit of calcium buildup, but that's white.

You're right. 400 gallons of Kent Salt is $90 with free shipping at Foster and Smith. Reef Crystals is a couple of bucks less. Still a good deal at $92 if shipping was included on EBay. I love Bulk Reef Supply, but Foster and Smith wins on salt mixes so far. Anyone seen any better prices?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom