What salt are you using?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flow863

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been running Red seas Coral Pro Salt for almost a year now and I am pretty happy with it
But it costs about 85 bucks for a bucket
I have recently ran into alot of articles with really nice sps tanks and also a new fish store that I recently visited who say they use Instant Ocean. Not Reef salt but the original Instant Ocean salt.
That would save me over 50% on salt
So I wanted to know what type of salt is everybody using on their reef tanks?

I use Red Sea CP as well, and love it, but I sure as heck wouldn't pay $85 a bucket!!!! Where are you paying that?? If I were you, I'd go to BRS and order it from them..... it's $64.99 per bucket, and any order over $175 is free shipping. Order 3 buckets at a time, and get it shipped to your door for free. Last year, one of their Christmas specials was $45.99 per bucket, so I ordered 5 of them.

I would like a more affordable salt too, but I am afraid I wouldn't get the same benefits as with the RS coral pro.

I use Aquavitro. Pricey, but I find I use much less of it. For 17 gals I only use 5 cups, compared to 8 of the IO reef.

I have used instant ocean, io reef crystals, and kent. Keeping things on the low cost of things. So far my best results have come out of the kent, even easier to mix. Higher alk and calcium levels that I liked. Prob mag as well, just don't remember in all honesty. I have no stores to buy salt mix around me, so I order from either bulkreefsupply or drfosterandsmith, depending on what I need at the time and deals being offered.

I use Aquavitro. Pricey, but I find I use much less of it. For 17 gals I only use 5 cups, compared to 8 of the IO reef.

Hmmm....with coral pro salt I use about 6 or so cups for 25 gallons

It's where I bought my last bucket.. I was stoked when I saw the price too! If memory serves right, I received it pretty fast.. I live in fl in that matters

I have only ever used oceanic.. 200g bucket for 60$... Calcium and alk levels are pretty high.. I read before that with instant ocean you have to dose calcium often.... My tank sits at 500 calcium...

I think it is best to take readings of parameter of each brand after mixing with same salinity and in what proportion with water. Then you can compare which one would you choose for your tank. So far I have used 2 different brands and here are my readings.
Brand KENT CORALIFE
Mag 1350 1200
Cal 520 480
Sal 1.025 1.025
Kent needs 2 mugs salt per 5 gal water while Coralife only 1 3/4
By comparison I can conclude that Kent is more favorable but uses more salt mix to attain same salinity.
Note: The salt were mixed thoroughly before the preparation.

Last edited:
That is a great break down on it. The thing I noticed is that the kent is more fine of a salt than the instant ocean and reef crystals I used before, which makes it an easier mix. I'd assume this is why it requires more to mix up salinity.

I have only ever used oceanic.. 200g bucket for 60$... Calcium and alk levels are pretty high.. I read before that with instant ocean you have to dose calcium often.... My tank sits at 500 calcium...

I use IO reef crystals. I never dose anything salt related. My calcium is 480+.

That's good then!... Ya I'm a one timer so I haven't changed salts at all... There's a lot of people using io.. But I watch them dump bottles of purple up in there tank..

Back
Top Bottom