Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Oceanic or Instant Ocean
Oceanic 11 47.83%
Instant Ocean 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-11-2004, 08:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Ya the coralife wasn't really a contender to me.

MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah it takes more stiring to get it all disolved. But you get a free shirt in the bucket

KMyers18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a free T-shirt in my last bucket of IO, extra large too!
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I started out using IO and was happy with it. I switched to Oceanic because I've heard it was better. I used two buckets of it and switched back to IO. With Oceanic, my calcium level dropped. Also, IO keeps my ph at a consistent 8.0, oceanic dropped it to 7.8.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
i m a coralife user (hey if u get a bucket u get a free shirt)
xxmoorishmanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been using Coralife. It's been about $15 cheaper per bucket than the Instant Ocean. I go through a lot so it adds up. For me it might be better simply because I can afford to do more frequent water changes than if I were paying more. I also like the way it's in three resealable bags inside the bucket to keep out moisture. I don't dig opening my salt with a hammer every single time, either, as I used to do with IO. And my roommate really likes the shirts (as if THAT would be a deciding factor.....not!) that come in the bucket.
Foible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:57 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus
I started with reefcrystals and was very happy. When I ran out of that it wasn't available so I picked up a bucket of coralife and have been pretty happy with that. I actually just did a water change a couple days ago. Change water tested at 420 CA and 3.4 Kdh @ 1.023 SG. (Kdh could stand to go up a tad) Took almost exactly 2-1/2 cups of salt for a 5 gallon bucket of water. disolved pretty quickly and was crystal clear after about a half an hour with a PH in the bucket. (i let it mix overnight anyway).

I did not notice any adverse effects on the critters when I changed from the reef crystals to coralife. I do 5 gallon water changes every 2 or 3 months (55 reef (sorta)).

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com