What salt to use...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanic or Instant Ocean

• Oceanic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Instant Ocean

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have both Ocean and Instant Ocean available to me... I think instant ocean is a bit cheaper and I have been using it for two months without problem but I wanted to know what everyone liked better. This is only of the two... There is a chance that I may be able to get coralife too but I don't hear much about this salt and I think I can only get the big buckets.

I use Instant Ocean without a problem. I did not vote since I have never tried the Oceanic to compare. At some point, I need to buy a bucket of Oceanic or Instant Ocean so I am interested in seeing how this turns out.

What type of tank... reef of fo? If a reef I would use the Oceanic, Fo use what ever is cheaper.
I have used both and my corals seem to be doing better with the Oceanic. Both very good salts IMO.

I also have been using instant ocean for seven years, never had any problem, I spent years researching salts and one has 1 item better then the other but less of the other so the bottem line is use a well named brand that's works for you
I've learned over the years that salt is like motor oil ,alot of different brands out there, but oil is oil, it all comes from the same place unless its vergin oil that has had nothing added to it which in this case would be water from the ocean, just pick one that been around a while and use it, if you dont like it try another ,everyone likes a certain salt for different reasons ,I like instant ocean because its been around for ever plus I never have a problem with my ph dropping with it where I have with others ,weather the salt was the cause who noise but I have not had any problems so I stay with it

My tank is a reef...my only complaint with IO is that it takes a lot more salt than stated to get a good salinity level. It says something like 1/2 a cup per gallon and I usually end up using close to a cup per to get it right around 1.024. Maybe like 75-80% of a cup per gallon. Obviously it directs lower for FO tanks though.

Oceanic for me. I used to use IO but was tired of the chronic low levels of Ca. Out of the bag it was around 350ppm which I wasn't happy with. I get a Ca level of around ~450 out of the bag (bucket actually) with Oceanic.

What is the consensus on changing salts? Will it screw anythign up? I still have 75% of a bucket of IO left so it wouldn't be til after it is gone.

What is the consensus on changing salts? Will it screw anythign up? I still have 75% of a bucket of IO left so it wouldn't be til after it is gone.

Small water changes spread over time. Like 5% to 10% each change. That is how I did it anyway. It takes a while but at least you are minimizing any chemical change the salt may have on the animals.

i tried the corallife salt its not bad
i like the instant ocean because to me it dissolved faster
and is more stable i think

I started out using IO and was happy with it. I switched to Oceanic because I've heard it was better. I used two buckets of it and switched back to IO. With Oceanic, my calcium level dropped. Also, IO keeps my ph at a consistent 8.0, oceanic dropped it to 7.8.

I've been using Coralife. It's been about $15 cheaper per bucket than the Instant Ocean. I go through a lot so it adds up. For me it might be better simply because I can afford to do more frequent water changes than if I were paying more. I also like the way it's in three resealable bags inside the bucket to keep out moisture. I don't dig opening my salt with a hammer every single time, either, as I used to do with IO. And my roommate really likes the shirts (as if THAT would be a deciding factor.....not!) that come in the bucket.

I started with reefcrystals and was very happy. When I ran out of that it wasn't available so I picked up a bucket of coralife and have been pretty happy with that. I actually just did a water change a couple days ago. Change water tested at 420 CA and 3.4 Kdh @ 1.023 SG. (Kdh could stand to go up a tad) Took almost exactly 2-1/2 cups of salt for a 5 gallon bucket of water. disolved pretty quickly and was crystal clear after about a half an hour with a PH in the bucket. (i let it mix overnight anyway).

I did not notice any adverse effects on the critters when I changed from the reef crystals to coralife. I do 5 gallon water changes every 2 or 3 months (55 reef (sorta)).

Back
Top Bottom