What sand is the best bang for the buck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need a sand for my 75g but dot want to buy dumb expensive love sand and pay out the butt. I need a fine sand for a shark so it must not be to course. Who can point me in the right direction?

Marcorocks.com sells 160 lbs of fine sand for $109. Or you could get the 2 sets of 40 lbs for $30 ea.

I don't know lol. But I have about 150 lbs of silica that I think would look great as my substrate!!!

CleverBs said:
I need a sand for my 75g but dot want to buy dumb expensive love sand and pay out the butt. I need a fine sand for a shark so it must not be to course. Who can point me in the right direction?

I apologize if I'm misreading but what shark are you keeping in a 75g?

I apologize if I'm misreading but what shark are you keeping in a 75g?

a bamboo shark because im hatching it from an egg and dont want to keep it in a huge system at first beings i need to get it to eat and train it to eat. I have my plan planned out and am executing it in the manner that I feel is best.

Caribsea has a fine black sand, a little too fine for my liking - gets into the filter all the time. Compacts very densely. Get occasional gas pockets, but maybe not with the shark kicking it up all the time.

I also have used sand blasting sand, didn't have the diatom problem. Heavy enough to not get kicked up too easily.

Black sand from Petco is very light but not floaty, except when a little gets on the surface, my Cories like it. It is pretty soft to the touch

There is Garnet sand and it comes in different grain size and colors too. Mostly used for sand blasting. If you can find it locally, I found some at a farm supply store in a 50 lb can for appx $50 nice multicolored grains.

Back
Top Bottom