Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. You can ask 12 different people and get 13 different answers!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:10 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I am using the new Seachem salt, which buffers quite high in Ca and Alk with my tap water. I'm measuring a little under 500 ppm Ca and 14 dKh right out of the bucket. With IO I barely got over 410 ppm with tap water. So, there is definitley something different with the Seachem, but like everyone else said, if it's making everything in your tank happy and healthy, no need to upset that balance. I desired a higher Ca for stony corals and was having issues with IO salt (which has been known to produce cyano issues) with keeping a higher Ca.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

The question that I pose is that if you are having cyno issues , cyno is a bacterial algea in nature,produced by over feeding , low flow and possible light spectrum shifts .... How is it that the salt is at falt ...I am just curious as to how the salt is the "cause" of the cyno..
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Well, I think it mainly stems from the Borneman salt study, where he had constant cyano growth over a period of 6 months or so with IO salt and no other salts, even in controlled environments. IO seems to just produce it. People on this board have tried the switch and said their cyano issues went away after they stopped using IO. Borneman is supposed to release more of their study as it goes on, but due to family issues I think it's been put on hold. But I believe he mentioned at MACNA how he was going to look more molecularly at the salts and do more comprehensive tests with it. So hopefully, we'll know more soon.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I had IO in my 125 tank, with sand and some rock, no fish and cyano took over! I did a few PWCs with reef crystals and it cleared it up, in no time. I think some of it depends on you water source.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

I haven't had cyano in awhile. For a little bit, I was having to syphon daily to keep it under control. I was in the process of switching from IO to reef crystals. My cyano has vanished. The dissappearing act happened in the time period when my skimmer broke down. To get rid of cyano while your skimmer isn't working is saying something. I def believe that it has something to do with the salt.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

I use Coralife salt, gives me Ca readings that are at 420 and alk readings that are kinda on the low end but still tolerable 8 dKh.

Tags
salt, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com