What SG does Instant Ocean leave the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,
I have a brackish tanks, so I know this really belongs in the fresh/brackish discussion, but I also know that you guys will be able to answer this question much better!

Instant Ocean says to use 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) per gallon of water for a marine environment. My question is, approx what SG would that leave the water at?

I just need to know that so I can figure out the right amount of salt to be adding to my brackish tanks to leave it at around 1.010-1.013. I keep getting it there and then after a few water changes it's down to 1.008 or so. I just use a general scoop right now, and I'm trying to find out an exact amount that I should be using per gallon.

Thanks,
-brent

Ok. So in theory using 4 tbsp per gallon of water would bring it to 1.01-1.011 ... right? haha

Thanks for the fast responses!

Theory being the key term. Mix it and take it to the LFS for them to confirm. You are going to need something to measure it eventually anyway to keep the tank salinity accurate.

I do... I have two different SG meters. But I was always under the impression that it had to sit for some time before you get an accurate reading, so I've just never tried measuring the SG in my mixing bucket since I mix and only let it sit for a few minutes before pouring it in.

I suppose it would make sense to just mix it and then test in my bucket... I'm a little slow for never even thinking of that. haha. Thanks. ;)

-brent

Edit: So, opinions on how long it should sit in the bucket before I would get an accurate reading? Would I need to put a PH in there to keep the water flowing while it sits?

So, opinions on how long it should sit in the bucket before I would get an accurate reading? Would I need to put a PH in there to keep the water flowing while it sits?
Absolutely to the second part. SW should be made then mixed for at least 24 hours w/ a power head to avoid any problems w/ ph, solubility, or toxicity. At that point measure the salinity/SG again to be sure it's correct before use. Any evaporation, as you probably know, will raise the SG/salinity. HTH

Back
Top Bottom