What should I do about aptasias?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiko

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a common problem. Aptasia anenomes are spreading and thriving in my tank, especially since I began feeding my fish Mysis shrimp. In fact, before I added two percula clowns, I had only one visible aptasia.

Are there any fish that eat these things? Can I just pull them out by hand?

The only "delicate" things in my tank are some polyps. I would not want to lose these, as they are doing well, and are the only cool soft coral I have ever seen for sale in our LFS on Maui.

Any help would be appreciated.

A true Peppermint shrimp will work great.. you can also grab a 5ml syringe and fill it 50/50 with kalk and water.. Shoot a ball close to the aptasia and they will grab it and suck it in and will die be EXTREMELY careful when using this method and only kill 2 or 3 at a time to avoid raising levels in the tank.... The natural way would be the peppermint shrimp but make sure it is a Peppermint shrimp and not its imposter Camel Shrimp..

HTH,
James

when using "natural" solutions always consider what that animal will need to eat AFTER it's removed whatever pest you're employing it to remove. I'm not overly familiar with either of the above mentioned; I'm just making this as an overal caution as it reminds of the many mistakes man has made in nature when introducing new species in an area to rid themselves of one pest, only to completely upset the natural balance of things...

peppermint shrimp eat meaty foods as well. mine removed all aptasia within a week and now eat mysis shrimp and formula one. i like to feed it by hand because it is a coll experience but i have also watched him catch food when floating by.

Thanks everyone! I was planning on getting a peppermint shrimp anyway, and was just waiting for one to come in the island. How can you tell the difference between a peppermint shrimp and a camel shrimp?

Whatever you do dont pull them out they will spread extremely rapidly if you do that. What happens when you pull them out is particals of their stem breaks off and releases spawn, i got 2 pepermint shrimp and got rid of mine within 3 days. HTH

Back
Top Bottom