What should I do with my low PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adib

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently started dosing my system a 45 gallon all in one reef tank with Kalkwasser and Vinegar ( 6ml Vinegar + 1 teaspoon of BRS Kalkwasser added to a gallon of water ) Before i started my PH was at 8.07 and during the night it would got to 7.9 however, the PH is at 7.89 and my tank is not that stocked. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425874564.758104.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why are you dosing your tank at all? There isn't enough of anything to drain the elements in the tank. Not only that, a small tank like that can easily be replenished via water changes.
Your ph is having minor fluctuations because of the vinegar being dosed. Though I don't advocate chasing perfect ph, as people then dose to get it there, you can easily do so by simply stopping dosing.

Shouldn't really chase ph.
If your KH is in line, usually the PH follows.

How are you dosing your kalk solution? How are you testing PH?

If via ato, You could cut out the vinegar as it is lowering the PH / raising saturation point of, possibly dose your vinegar during the day when ph is highest, not in every top off.

I use both, kalk via ato & vinegar via dosing pump, only dosing a tiny amount of vinegar during the mid afternoon, as my system is lightly stocked atm.

Water Changes work best btw

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all I would like to thank you for responding.

I am dosing because of my Alkalinity being 7.3 and would like it to be around 9.

I am mixing it with vinegar to battle an algae problem.

I am monitoring my PH via RKE

And dosing with BRS dosser

First of all I would like to thank you for responding.

I am dosing because of my Alkalinity being 7.3 and would like it to be around 9.

I am mixing it with vinegar to battle an algae problem.

I am monitoring my PH via RKE

And dosing with BRS dosser

Ok.

You know kalk is not used to raise KH, only to maintain it at a level you bring it to. Lets say you want your KH @9, then you would need to dose a two part to get to the level first, then start up kalk. Also keeping CA and MG with the proper ratios. This is commonly done and maintained at a balance from the evaporated water.

Algae problem is mostly due to an important/ export of nutrients out of balance, I suggest looking at this method and addressing it and adjust you feeding, skimming accordingly.

assuming vinegar is for your nitrates?
What are you doing for the phoshpate?

How old is the system?
Newer tanks will have these issues. Just have patience and control the feeding and skimming you'll get through it as the tank ecosystem becomes balanced.

I think consistent water-changes with a good salt will keep chemical levels stable until your moderately stocked.
Again, chasing PH with fluctuations in KH are not a good idea.

BTW- whats wrong with KH@ 7.3?
Curious

I am using to BRS deluxe reactor in the first stage i have GFO and then the next stage has carbon and a small bag of chemipure elite

small innovated Marine reactor with biopellet

UV sterilizer that runs 12h a day

One stage with Small amount of chaetomorpha algae

Hog-x algae scrubber

National Geographic™ Aquarium Filter

2 MP 10

kessil a360w

30 pounds of live rocks that I had cured for 4 months before adding to the tank

30 pounds of live sand

And the tank is running for 6 months

That is a lot of filtration for a 45 gallon tank, if you're doing weekly water changes you shouldn't have to dose anything unless your tank is packed with coral which it doesn't seem to be.

I'm seeing GFO
Carbon
Chemi pure (which I think is GFO and carbon actually)
algae scrubber
Refugium with cheato
national geographic filter (no idea what this is)
and biopellets

Then vinegar and kalk? Isn't the biopellets the carbon based nitrate remover? This would eliminate the need for carbon dosing (vinegar) right? Do you have a skimmer? I think with biopellets and vinegar you have to skim out the carbon, thats what I've read anyway. It binds to the nitrate then you have to remove it.

Correct. You need a good skimmer to go along with carbon dosing. The biopellets and vinegar are also doing the same thing - where the downfall to biopellets can see an increase in things like cyano at times.

Yes I forgot i have the tunze nano skimmer

I'd stop the kalk and vinegar for sure. Maybe stop the biopellets. Ditch the national geographic (still have no idea what this is)That would leave you with a skimmer, GFO, fuge, algea scrubber and activated carbon which is still more filtration than alot of people use. Then get a good water change schedule. You should see really good results with this. just my 2 cents...:)

Thank you so much sure i will do so.

I will update as soon as possible

I'd stop the kalk and vinegar for sure. Maybe stop the biopellets. Ditch the national geographic (still have no idea what this is)That would leave you with a skimmer, GFO, fuge, algea scrubber and activated carbon which is still more filtration than alot of people use. Then get a good water change schedule. You should see really good results with this. just my 2 cents...:)

+1
Wow, That was a lot of fire power for a small tank.

Adib, is that a kessil light? How do you like it? I love mine. Need to get a 2nd.

I love it i think it is the best light but i have to say i did not really like it at first because i could not control it at first, but after i got the controller for it, it has been the best light and i love ittt

Back
Top Bottom