Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What should I get for a Pico Kit??

So I am wanting to start a 2-3g pico reef for soft corals. My question is what ones will work for this? I really like the looks and the design of the fluval SPEC but dont know if the light will grow soft corals. Does anyone have any thoughts on Pico reefs on what the best option is as far as what one to get?

Theres also the Picotope but i have a HATE for HoB filters of any kind. But the 50/50 bulb i think would be alot better for coral growth. I dont know let me know what you think.

Stock:
Mushrooms
Frogspawn
Duncan
Zoas

Not sure on any fish yet maybe will go fishless for awhile and see how i like it. Or get something tiny that my girlfriend likes

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

For frogspawn and dunkans (lps coral) id think youd need stronger lights. That fluval doesnt look good enough. Maybe get a 12 inch basic aquarium and add your our own lights? The pico at my lfs is full of zoas and mushrooms cause the lighting requirement is low. They put in a chili coral and somebsun coral frags to add color cause they are non photosynthetic...

Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
For frogspawn and dunkans (lps coral) id think youd need stronger lights. That fluval doesnt look good enough. Maybe get a 12 inch basic aquarium and add your our own lights? The pico at my lfs is full of zoas and mushrooms cause the lighting requirement is low. They put in a chili coral and somebsun coral frags to add color cause they are non photosynthetic...
I ended up geting an Evolve4 and if i need to upgrade my light I will but the tank is PERFECT for that i want and I love the way everything will be hidden because my heater fits in the back compartment and its 4g and that will be perfect. I wont put those corals in it if I cant and will go with a Zoa/Mushroom tank because those will be fine under the current light. I am unsure what to do for fish however. I was thinking a Firefish or 2 Neon gobbies. I want VERY little waste in the tank to keep water parameters stable. Any thoughts on a fish to have?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO the 2 neon gobbies would create more movement and interest than the firefish, although those firefish are beautiful...they are also shyer. Really depends, either one is an excellent choice!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

how many lbs of rock should I go with? Im thinking like ~5lbs or rock at most and I am going to put like a 2" sand bed in the tank

and I have decided I am going to go with 2 Neon gobies
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I would say 5# rock at most. Sandbed sounds good too. You're on your way!!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Lets see when its set up!

Tags
pico

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com