Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question What should you do in a power outage?

Like most folks on the East Coast, I am in the middle of a heat wave and with those, i am expecting a power-outage this week.

What should I do in this case?

If anyone has any recomendations, please send them.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

I have a generator that I can hook up to my FW tank. I would plan to do the same for a SW tank as well.

eyring2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

How much is that? does it run on gas?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

yes it runs on gas, (so it will need to be outside,) and the price will vary depending on how big of a generator you get. A small (approx 2000 watt) will run about $220.00 from places like Home Depot.
eyring2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just have water ready and also run my PH's on battery back up , everything eles shuts off ...You can also use a battery airater as well , We rarely go here for more than 2 hours with out power the battery back up seems to do fine .... I have water that when the power comes on is priming and I do a small 10% H20 change to remove any impurities that must come out .. I am also on the east coast and this is some wild weather it stinks ...
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Least expensive route, have a battery operated air pump/air stone standing by, possibly a few depending on your tank size. This will keep the water moving and oxygen exchange high. I also have a couple frozen 2 liters standing by at all times in the summer just in case, use em like big ice cubes.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #7

That's great advice, do you freeze fresh or salt water? Im assuing fresh but since I am now I don't want to assume anything.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Fresh, I usually use RO/DI just in case any leaks. Only use each bottle two to four times, the freezing and thawing process will stress the bottle, you don't want it to leech out chemicals. The whole BPA scare lately and all.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquanGirl View Post
What should I do in this case?
1. Don't panic.
2. Nothing. At least not right away. Odds are power will come back soon, if not check out #3.
3. Water circulation. I use a simple DC to AC inverter ( dc to ac inverter - Google Product Search ) to plug into my car's cigarette lighter. I then plug an short extension cord into the converter and run it into the house (from my garage). I use a low wattage Hydor Koralia ( powerhead koralia - Google Product Search )powerhead plugged into the extension cord to keep water circulating in the tank. None of the Koralia products should come even close to over taxing the inverter, but never plug a device into the inverter that has a higher wattage rating than the inverter.
4. Temperature concerns. I find that my tank at about 135 gallons doesn't flux that much even with the power out, extreme conditions aside. At tank temps of 85 to 88 your corals and fish should be fine. If things start approaching 90, its time to float some bags of ice or prepare for some losses. There is no good solution unless you have a chiller and a generator to run the chiller. The chiller is WAY too much for a simple car inverter, well beyond the scope of my response. Due to the use of a low wattage koralia, I was also able to run a small low wattage fan to blow across the top of the tank.
4. Lighting. Your ok with out lights for a couple days. Things may not look great but again, with out a generator as a power source, your out of luck until the city power comes back.
5. Lastly, again, worth repeating, don't panic. Regardless of what happens, safety is first don't start changing things while the power is off. Oh, and be sure to monitor water levels in things like sumps. Some people don't realize when the power is off, water can fill a sump and potentially over flow. Did I mention, don't panic? Great. Best of luck. -PC

Tags
power outage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com