What size tank should I do for my In wall reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in my new home I am going to do 2 wall tanks, a 350+ Gallon FOWLR tank and a Reef tank. The FOWLR tank I am getting is going to be a 94x36x25 thats 375g.

I want to get a Reef tank and put it in the other wall as well. I dont want anything over 36" long so here are the options I see.

45 Wide 36 x 24 x 12 Tall
60 Square 24 x 24 x 25 Tall
50 Square 30 x 31 x 13 Tall
65 Wide 36 x 24 x 17 Tall
70 Square 30 x 30 x 17 Tall

I like really deep tanks (From front to back) tanks I think they look better with an aquascape. I just have never seen a cube in a wall so dont know if that would look awkward. What does everyone think?

It will be an LSP reef or SPS reef not sure on that one yet. Id like to be at like 60g+ so that I could get a Kole Tang for the tank. Really want a kole tang in the tank.

Do the 65. I have one and it is a good size for 36" long. Awesome scape opportunities and it has a lot of swimming room

Cube would look a bit odd because usually you look at them from the sides and such. But..it would obviously be in the wall so you couldnt!

JMHO

Do the 65. I have one and it is a good size for 36" long. Awesome scape opportunities and it has a lot of swimming room

Cube would look a bit odd because usually you look at them from the sides and such. But..it would obviously be in the wall so you couldnt!

JMHO

yes exactly the reason I felt that it was awkward to use a cube. I think the 65 is the best option as well.

Koles are one of the few tangs that don't really need a 6' tank or better, but the typical minimum is a 75g/90g, which are 4' tanks..... you may need to revise your 36" max.

Koles are one of the few tangs that don't really need a 6' tank or better, but the typical minimum is a 75g/90g, which are 4' tanks..... you may need to revise your 36" max.

Well thats not really a factor here. I belive personally that if you keep your tangs happy and healthy the tank length doesnt matter so much. I mean its not only about length what if i put it in a 48 x 12½ x 17 Tall which is 45g. I dont really want to get into a debate about it i will deal with that when i stock the tank.

Then why ask? You stated your goal of a Kole tang. And I have a big fat healthy one that is getting pretty old. The suggestion was a good one, larger the better. But as you indicated, it's your tank.

Then why ask? You stated your goal of a Kole tang. And I have a big fat healthy one that is getting pretty old. The suggestion was a good one, larger the better. But as you indicated, it's your tank.

well of course larger is better but for my reef I just dont want something really large. And i wasnt implying im going to get the fish regardless of tank size. I was just meaning that right now in the process I am not going to include fish in tank size selection. I would rather have a tank that looks (size wise) really good then get to have a certain fish.

Back
Top Bottom