what size tank should i get? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i have enough room currently to get up to a 75g tank but i was wondering should i get one that big or just get a 50 55 or a 60? whats your all opinions and which ever i get itll have a 30g sump :) also ill need some ideas on lighting.

Added water volume is a good thing. The more the better and will be more forgiving if any problem arises.

im jealous if you get a 75g or a 90g...ooooo the reef i could build, unlimited possibilities

I agree, 90. If you have 6 more inches of depth in the floorplan, a 4' 120 would work. ;)

4' 120's are freakin awesome. I think those tanks have the nicest footprints imo..

The bigger the better, but it's probably more important to think about how much $$$ you're willing to spend. The bigger the tank, the more stuff you want to put in it, the more expensive the equiptment is etc. It seems that people usually want to keep on getting bigger and bigger tanks (or more of them) over time than what they start out with. So be prepared for that... I have a 75 now and I' trying to figure out a way to fit a 150 in somewhere...

I had a 55 it was 48X18X12. I got a 75 which is the same height and length, just 6 more inches front to back giving a little more beach area. If you go to a 90 it will be taller. I do not want taller as I am growing coral and do not want to go to MH from T5. the 55 sucked, no room for the fish to swim. 75-90 is definitely better.

If your going over 75 and aren't on a basement floor, I'd make sure your floor could support the weight of anything heavier. A 120g tank weighs just under 1500lbs loaded w/water, add 150lbs LR and 50-100lbs sand and it gets heavy.

yeah it will have coral in it, so to tall for t5ho will be a no no :( and i was just thinking at most a 75 gallon at most but i didnt know if any plus or minuses

well my lfs said a 90 with the same footprint of a 75 just taller would be fine with a t5ho fixture.. i just need to find one for sell.. or how could i make a tank that big?

I don't know much about SW, but I asked that same question last year about going with a 55....I got a 250 gal. Imo get as big as your spouse will allow without a divorce. You'll always want bigger.

Back
Top Bottom