what snail is the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhaynes01

Aquarium Advice Freak
what is the best kin dof snail to put in my fifteen gallon and thats not a homaphrodite or will mate with aother snails

i am not getting any soon

but my tank still has not cycled its been 6 weeks tested water this morning
the read

Ammonia-.25
trites.75
did not test trates (did not think i need to)

the shrimp i pu tin 6 weeks ago is completly gone

To my knowledge SW snails are not hermaphrodites (could be wrong). Even still, if they do breed the young rarely if ever survive to maturity. The odds are greatly against them. If you are worried they will become a nuisance like FW snails, you don't have much to be concerned about.

Cheers
Steve

but my tank still has not cycled its been 6 weeks tested water this morning
the read

Ammonia-.25
trites.75
did not test trates (did not think i need to)

the shrimp i pu tin 6 weeks ago is completly gone

Your best bet is to get a variety of snails... they all eat different things so the more the merrier!

Just give the cycle a bit more time... every tank is different in how long it takes.

the best snails to use are astrea snails and nassarius snails - also magarita snail and troch . also - consider sand sifters like brittle sea star; pepperment shrimp. Personally I avoid the crabs completely - I don't like them - but the scarlet hermits are fairly okay - I guess

Banded trochus are quite active and vibrantly colored, definetly 1 of my favorites, also bumble bee and nassarius are good for sand beds. I like nerites too, some interesting color patterns- although they vary in appearence as do most types of snails.

I'd go with 3 banded trochus, 2-4 nassarius, 1-3 bumble bee and skip the margaritas. They are similar to trochus just not nearly as colorfull. Maybe even 1-2 nerite.

Nerite and margarita look very similar and are often sold interchangabley. >>Google image<< search's can often be a reefers best friend. :wink:

IMO, I would skip the bumblebee snails and stick with the nassarius as well as what has been mentioned. Both nassarius and bumblebee are primarily carnivor/detritus and will compete quite a bit in a smaller tank. If push came to shove, the bumblebee's are not above killing other snails to feed.

Just be sure before they are added the tank has finished it's cycle (both NH3 and NO2 =0), do a large water change and be sure to drip acclimate the snails when you add them. As far as the cycle taking so long, leaving the shrimp will have added a great amount of nutrient in the system which is not bad, it just means that more bacteria is needed to deal with the load and may take a bit longer. Should be done in no time. 8)

Cheers
Steve

Watch out for the astrea snails. They tend to flip over and die on you. (and then if you have hermits, they come right along and take advantage of the poor snail that can't right itself :x )

Back
Top Bottom