What so Different?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am trying to understand why are there so many tanks that I seen in photos in this forum that Have Fish that are in smaller tanks suppose to be kept in a larger Tanks than what people have.... I have seen Tangs and other fish in 29gallon tanks, 45 gallon tank, and 55 gallon tanks aren't these fish be kepted in 55 gallons or more.... More fish that grow larger that i have seen are in smaller tanks.... I am just wondering why they are keep in such small tanks if they require a larger tank.... ????

Some fish take years to grow, so you can have one living happily in a smaller tank for quite some time before they outgrow it. In my case, being in the Navy, I will never have a tank established more than three years before I move so I will probably never see a full grown tang in my tank.

Lindsay is right. Some people don't do the research or the LFS's sell them without even asking what size tanks the customer has. I know I am pushing it with my Niger Trigger but most say that a minimum of 55g is ok. I purchased him as a juvinile. However, I know that there might be a point where he will outgrow and I will have to sell/trade him but that wont be for at least a couple of years.

Some fish take years to grow, so you can have one living happily in a smaller tank for quite some time before they outgrow it. In my case, being in the Navy, I will never have a tank established more than three years before I move so I will probably never see a full grown tang in my tank.

This may or may not be true. I have a yellow belly hippo tang that is about 2.5" long right now and it rockets around my tank. Technically this fish is small enough to fit in a 29g tank but it would go nuts with so little swimming room.

I think the best idea is to do the research on the fish you want and find out what will best suit it's needs.

In your specific case I recommend selecting fish that you know will be hardy and give you enjoyment for that three year period. I grew up a military brat so I fully understand where you are coming from.

The bottom line is research what you want before you bring it home.

I believe those who fall within the following or combination of:

1. Those who want an easy answer without self education.
2. Those who do not care about the livestock itself.
3. Those who believe their status in the community is most important.
4. Those who consider an animals worth by the price paid.
5. Those who, perhaps unknowingly, listen to misleading businesses that value your money over what they sell.

IMO those who advocate self-education and optimal overall husbandry techniques are not within the "norm" of the aquatic society including fish forums.

I just want to make sure that i purchase the right fish for the right size tank my concern is buying one that will outgrow my tank in a few years then there is a problem..... Right now I have 2 clowns and a damsel.... and I want just (reef safe fish only) but there are some that require larger tanks that are reef safe I haven't research enough to find a good amount that would fit into my 55g..... Would anyone have suggestion????:)

Also, don't be afraid to ask about any particular fish, Frank. Nobody will flame you for asking.

Since we talking about overcrowded tanks or fish that are too big for a tank, Here is a favorite of mine. LOL

img_905355_0_7dd1052012037ce8d8d27fbe98fd341a.jpg

Because fish can't talk or own handguns.
Haha you actually had me laughing on this one. Good response. Boy it would be a heck of a lot easier some times if they could just tell us they had a tummy ache and need some internal parasites meds.

Because fish can't talk or own handguns.

LOL good one. :D

Haha you actually had me laughing on this one. Good response. Boy it would be a heck of a lot easier some times if they could just tell us they had a tummy ache and need some internal parasites meds.

Duh!!!! Obviously... It was just a simply question Sherlock(s).... But i guess i should made myself a little bit more clear about what I meant........ :rolleyes: I mean um.... Yeah that was a good one.... What's that one the floor.....:)

I guess my point was that people stuff a lot of fish into too small of a tank because, well... they can. No one is stopping them. Just as there are many philosophies on how to set up a tank, there are many different philosophies on how to stock those tanks.

I have to agree with ziggy though - in my opinion, size of tank probably depends on the species of fish, and not its actual size at the current time. Just because a fish that's going to want a 100g tank is tiny for the first few months, doesn't mean you can put it in a 10g because it's only 10% of the size it's going to reach. I kind of think of it like raising a baby - just because it's small and doesn't eat much doesn't mean I'm going to put it's crib in a closet and only bring it out into a "normal" size room when it gets bigger. Yeah... probably a bad analogy, but so be it!

Oh... and great picture melosu! See - that picture PROVES the point that a fish will only grow as big as its environment allows! See... that shark obviously has stunted it's growth to fit in that "tank." I think it needs more flow though.

Oh... and great picture melosu! See - that picture PROVES the point that a fish will only grow as big as its environment allows! See... that shark obviously has stunted it's growth to fit in that "tank." I think it needs more flow though.

As long as you keep the gills wet you'll be fine ;)

Back
Top Bottom