What some reef owners DON'T know...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I live on the freshwater side of this site but I look at the SW stuff too. I'm amazed at how much stuff I know about reef aquariums or rather how little some reef tank owners know.

I was talking to a friend with a 37 gallon reef tank. She couldn't remember the kinds of fish she had (it was a clown and some damsels), she didn't remember what the filter was called (RO or maybe RODI), she didn't know what a skimmer was, she didn't know why it was a good idea to have live rock, she didn't know what her lights were 8O (she had an anenome for crying out loud!), she didn't know what "hosting" was with regard to the clown and anenome (she didn't even know that they were supposed to be friends! :roll: ). She hates changing the water. I told her to sell the whole thing to me!!!!! Sheesh!!!

She spent thousands of dollars on this SW tank and from her interests and time commitments, what she really wanted was a common goldfish in a 10 gallon tank.

Unfortunately, getting them over here, while it may help, is not a cure all. Lately we seem to have an influx of "Instant Experience Syndrome" where the reading of a couple articles makes you sufficiently capable of handling even the most daunting of projects.
The importance of reading and learning cannot be understated. There is also alot to be said for the time honored practice of getting your hands wet and hours spent dealing with issues that spring forth. Not just in the saltwater hobby, but fresh too. I feel if a day passes and I havent learned something, it is a day wasted.

Hara said:
Unfortunately, getting them over here, while it may help, is not a cure all. Lately we seem to have an influx of "Instant Experience Syndrome" where the reading of a couple articles makes you sufficiently capable of handling even the most daunting of projects.
The importance of reading and learning cannot be understated. There is also alot to be said for the time honored practice of getting your hands wet and hours spent dealing with issues that spring forth. Not just in the saltwater hobby, but fresh too. I feel if a day passes and I havent learned something, it is a day wasted.
Agreed. I also think people should get out onto the reefs to dive or snorkle to see how it really is, and that way have an appreciation for what they are actually trying to do.

My trip to the Great Barrier Reef was an awesome eye opener even after having my tank for over two years.

Back
Top Bottom