Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2003, 04:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are gloves made for handling stuff in your tank that can sting. I don't remember what they are called but I have seen them in almost every LFS I have been in. The ones i have seen are purple (i think) and go all the way up your arm.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

The LFS i bought the LR at suggested using a NEW pair or rubber kitchen gloves. Using old gloves may leave your your tank lemon fresh but I doubt this is good for the inhabitants. I'd also be weary of using disposible latex gloves because they are for one awfully thin, and two the powder inside may not be good for the fish, unless they are chaffing.

Calvin

Old 10-06-2003, 06:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
This is what I did the first time I got skewered by my sea urchin... man, talk about burn!
thats interesting when mine is somewhere my hands need to be, i just push him out of the way (gently) and he moves off. but i've never been stabbed by him. maybe there is just mutual trust between us , i'm not sure.

Is it that he stuck you, or did you bump him and stick yourself?
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Is it that he stuck you, or did you bump him and stick yourself
Oh it was most assuredly my fault! I was rearanging some of the LR in my tank and lost track of where spike was. He had moved closer to me and up towards the top of the tank where I couldn't really see his main body. His spines were a good 6-7 inches so he can be well out of the way but still threatining a large area. BTW, when I said I was skewered by him I wasn't suggesting that he attacked me hehe. I skewered myself on his spines. Here's a pic of poor ol spike, I had to return him to the LFS. He was getting too large for my system and was begining to munch on the only coral in my tank.

Spike the Long Spine Urchin
Old 10-07-2003, 01:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ouch....been there too. Duck tape is the way to go...
Old 10-07-2003, 03:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

can try running your affected fingers on your dry hair. Strange as it sounds. But it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin
After reading the article, I'm sure it was a bristle worm. Those little guys are no joke. My hand is still a little tender. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:20 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

BillyZ wrote:
Quote:
Someone being alergic to a bee's sting is just that, an alergy. You could be alergic to dogs but not cats. BUT, What your alergic to in a bee's sting is the venom that stinger carries. I would be willing to bet that someone alergic to that vemon would have a propensity to be alergic to other mild stinging venoms, but as in the dog vs cat example, its not guarunteed.
I'm not a doctor, but I have tons of allergies. I think this is good advice. If you're allergic to bee venom, you MAY have a propensity to be allergic to other venom also. Just seek help if necessary! That's what ER departments are there for. I'm allergic to dogs and cats. Because of that, my allergy doctor said I shouldn't get another animal with hair or fur, like a hamster. I could get the allergy test for a hamster, but I said no thanks! Don't want to be miserable for a week over a test, and I'm betting I would be allergic to it too. But if it weren't for my animal allergies, I probably would not have gotten fish! I'm glad I did!

Here is a link for some heavy-duty gloves:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=3871
Old 06-01-2004, 08:04 PM   #18

If you are allergic to bee stings, you may be genetically determined to be allergic to other environmental stimuli. I'm not sure if anyone knows why you may be allergic to some things but not to others, but the allergy works something like this. You are exposed (for example, bristle worm sting). Your body doesn't really mount much of a tangible response except maybe a little swelling and soreness. A few months later, your body has developed enough antibodies to the stimuli (bristle worm stuff) to cause reaction. A potentially life threatening problem is anaphylaxis. You may feel light headed or weak, your throat may begin to tighten. This is why you carry around an Epipen. It's hard to breath through a closed airway. Fortunately this doesn't happen to everyone. Most allergic reactions are more localized. The moral of this story is, watch yourself next time you get stung by your bristle worm. Just because nothing happened this time doesn't mean it won't the next time.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:04 PM   #19

If you are allergic to bee stings, you may be genetically determined to be allergic to other environmental stimuli. I'm not sure if anyone knows why you may be allergic to some things but not to others, but the allergy works something like this. You are exposed (for example, bristle worm sting). Your body doesn't really mount much of a tangible response except maybe a little swelling and soreness. A few months later, your body has developed enough antibodies to the stimuli (bristle worm stuff) to cause reaction. A potentially life threatening problem is anaphylaxis. You may feel light headed or weak, your throat may begin to tighten. This is why you carry around an Epipen. It's hard to breath through a closed airway. Fortunately this doesn't happen to everyone. Most allergic reactions are more localized. The moral of this story is, watch yourself next time you get stung by your bristle worm. Just because nothing happened this time doesn't mean it won't the next time.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
Take this with a grain of salt as I am NOT a doctor.
Oh jeez Billy, you just ruined my entire image of you.
Sorry couldn't resist.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com