Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2003, 12:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What stung me???

While adding a couple pieces of LR to my tank, I was stung by something. It was not terribly painful but it sure did get my attention and what ever it was left a dozen or more little while stingers in my fingers? What could have done this and is there any reason I shouldnt be putting this rock in my tank for fear that the culprit will do the same to the inhabitants of the tank?

Thanks,

Calvin

Old 10-05-2003, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Sounds to me like you may have had a run in with a bristleworm? They've never gotten me before but they can leave "stingers" in you. Did you see what it looked like? I've gotten at least a couple that hitched in on LR. It probably won't hurt anything in the tank but some can grow pretty large. Try http://www.aquarium.net/0198/0198_2.shtml for some more info and pics. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2003, 01:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

After reading the article, I'm sure it was a bristle worm. Those little guys are no joke. My hand is still a little tender. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:39 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You need to make sure you got all the bristles out, then it shouldn't feel so tender. A trick I use is to use duct tape, put a piece ot duct tape over the area that got stung, and rip it off, the bristles come with it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 09:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
if a person is alergic to bee stings, is there anything to woory about if ever getting stung by one of these worms? I've never been stung yet, but just want to make sure (since i am alergic to bee stings) that if i was to get stung by a worm, i shouldnt be taking the same action as if it were a bee.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great question, i hadnt even thought about that. My girl is alergic to bee stings. I'll toss a worm on her and we'll find out. I know that lion fish stings are no the same. same trail test...

Calvin
Old 10-05-2003, 05:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
if she turne red, and blows up like a balloon, let me know. thanks.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, the experiment went like this. Tossed a bristle worm on her, She jumped up....cursed at me, ran out side and got stung by a bee...I'll have to try again when things get colder out here and their arent so many bees buzzing around.

I'll keep you posted...
Calvin
Old 10-06-2003, 02:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
Is there a safe type of gloves that one could wear while in the tank to help prevent such things from happening?
Old 10-06-2003, 03:45 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Take this with a grain of salt as I am NOT a doctor.

Someone being alergic to a bee's sting is just that, an alergy. You could be alergic to dogs but not cats. BUT, What your alergic to in a bee's sting is the venom that stinger carries. I would be willing to bet that someone alergic to that vemon would have a propensity to be alergic to other mild stinging venoms, but as in the dog vs cat example, its not guarunteed.

As a simple precaution, if you're stung by anything in your tank I would at a minimum take some benedril and be aware of your ... "self", for lack of a better term. If you begin to flush, heart rate increases, or feel any sort of ache travel from where you were stung, seek help. When seeking help, try to be as descriptive as possible of what exactly stung you. This is what I did the first time I got skewered by my sea urchin... man, talk about burn! and that venom left a nasty black dot in my hand for a few days... but no ill effects, just irritation. Now had my wife gotten poke by the urchin, i likely would have been taking her to the hospital (she's very alergic to stinging insects)

hmmm should do some googling on this... see what we can come up with.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com