What SW fish stay small.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I only have 3 small fish its time to add some more. I need to know what fish stay small enough to be inside a 46g bow that are reef safe as of now I have 1 ocellaris clown 1 blue devil damsel and 1 3strip damsel I am thinking of adding 1 green chromis what other options do I have and when am I maxed out? I know I can have more fish for sure there is plenty of room in my tank.

the green chromis are cool if you get a few. have you thought about a goby? they are great you can get different types, like a diamond goby sifts the sand. what about a dotty back? a small lepard wrasse is always neat. you have alot of options

their are TONS of options open for you dude! off the top of my head... six line wrasse, royal gramma, almost any goby or blenny or dartfish (my personal favorite are high fin goby, pink diamond goby, bullet goby, canary blenny, bicolor blenny, any fangtooth blenny, and firefish(dartfish), as well as some cardinal fish (though nocturnal, interesting), their are many options open for you!

I do have an orange spotted goby I guess I should have mentioned that with a pistol shrimp and I did just buy a Cleaner shrimp I guess I was just thinking fish. Sixline wrasse and dartfish are worth considering I will take a look.

I wouldn't put a royal gramma in with a blue devil. My blue devil killed my RG. You may want to think about taking the blue back.

I second the opinion of taking that blue damsel back ! Also I dont think i would consider adding 1 or a couple chromis eithier - you already have three damsels in your tank, as the clown is a damsel, and the chromis are damsel - That would just be way too many feisty damsels imo ! I think the blue damsel and the clown fish would be pretty hard on any chromis you added to that tank

I am not taking any of my fish back. My blue devil damsel is the nicest fish in my tank granted that may change in adulthood I am willing to take my chances at this point. Really all I am looking for is all the known fish that stay small enough to be in a 46g tank. I am not looking for compatability advice at this point I respectfully disagree with the idea that all Damselfish are evil murderers LOL

I would look at pseudochromis/dottyback family. They stay relatively small around 3" and have some very cool colors. If you like the royal game this is a pseudo that looks just like the RG and is much more of a fighter. If your damsels end up being aggressive (not saying the will for sure) that family of fish will be much more likely to fight back and deal with the more aggressive environment. The are also reef safe and pretty hardy. We had one that we name "kung fu" just fu for short because he would dart out and pick fights and they fly back to his rocks before the other fish knew what hit them.

I would look at pseudochromis/dottyback family. They stay relatively small around 3" and have some very cool colors. If you like the royal game this is a pseudo that looks just like the RG and is much more of a fighter. If your damsels end up being aggressive (not saying the will for sure) that family of fish will be much more likely to fight back and deal with the more aggressive environment. The are also reef safe and pretty hardy. We had one that we name "kung fu" just fu for short because he would dart out and pick fights and they fly back to his rocks before the other fish knew what hit them.
great advice thanks :cool:

I have to second the royal gramma. Mine are fun and beautiful and I think they could hold there own. I would not get the blue green chromis. I have two and they are the fish with the least personality (if you do they should have two or more). I recently bough two yellow clown gobies. They stay tiny, 1 1/2 inches. They are cute but very peaceful. I love my pajama cardinals they are small and more personality. They chase the flashlight when I shine it in. They love to be in the spot light. Mine are not nocturnal. I also wish I would not have gotten a sand shifting goby. He makes a mess and covers everything low in the tank with a layer of silt. Just my opinion. Happy fish shopping!

Just wanted to add another word for cardinalfish. Very cool fish IMO. I have 2 PJ's (used to have 3, one went into the skimmer pump!) and though they are not as active as some other fish, they are interesting to watch and the move funny. The PJ cardinals have some cool coloring on them and a school of 3 or 4 would be pretty cool in your tank in my opinion.

I do have an orange spotted goby I guess I should have mentioned that with a pistol shrimp and I did just buy a Cleaner shrimp I guess I was just thinking fish. Sixline wrasse and dartfish are worth considering I will take a look.

I picked up a sixline wrasse a couple of months ago. Pretty active fish and great colors. Hardy fella's too.

Back
Top Bottom