Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What SW fish stay small.

I only have 3 small fish its time to add some more. I need to know what fish stay small enough to be inside a 46g bow that are reef safe as of now I have 1 ocellaris clown 1 blue devil damsel and 1 3strip damsel I am thinking of adding 1 green chromis what other options do I have and when am I maxed out? I know I can have more fish for sure there is plenty of room in my tank.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

the green chromis are cool if you get a few. have you thought about a goby? they are great you can get different types, like a diamond goby sifts the sand. what about a dotty back? a small lepard wrasse is always neat. you have alot of options

125ga. FW w/60ga. sump. VERY aggresive fish
tamra&steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

their are TONS of options open for you dude! off the top of my head... six line wrasse, royal gramma, almost any goby or blenny or dartfish (my personal favorite are high fin goby, pink diamond goby, bullet goby, canary blenny, bicolor blenny, any fangtooth blenny, and firefish(dartfish), as well as some cardinal fish (though nocturnal, interesting), their are many options open for you!
CTR
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do have an orange spotted goby I guess I should have mentioned that with a pistol shrimp and I did just buy a Cleaner shrimp I guess I was just thinking fish. Sixline wrasse and dartfish are worth considering I will take a look.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 06-14-2008, 04:24 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I was going to say Royal Gramma as well. Neat fish, beautiful colors....
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Orchid dottyback"

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I wouldn't put a royal gramma in with a blue devil. My blue devil killed my RG. You may want to think about taking the blue back.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I second the opinion of taking that blue damsel back ! Also I dont think i would consider adding 1 or a couple chromis eithier - you already have three damsels in your tank, as the clown is a damsel, and the chromis are damsel - That would just be way too many feisty damsels imo ! I think the blue damsel and the clown fish would be pretty hard on any chromis you added to that tank
Old 06-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not taking any of my fish back. My blue devil damsel is the nicest fish in my tank granted that may change in adulthood I am willing to take my chances at this point. Really all I am looking for is all the known fish that stay small enough to be in a 46g tank. I am not looking for compatability advice at this point I respectfully disagree with the idea that all Damselfish are evil murderers LOL

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 06-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would look at pseudochromis/dottyback family. They stay relatively small around 3" and have some very cool colors. If you like the royal game this is a pseudo that looks just like the RG and is much more of a fighter. If your damsels end up being aggressive (not saying the will for sure) that family of fish will be much more likely to fight back and deal with the more aggressive environment. The are also reef safe and pretty hardy. We had one that we name "kung fu" just fu for short because he would dart out and pick fights and they fly back to his rocks before the other fish knew what hit them.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com