What temperature do you try to maintain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been keeping my temp at 80-82 and and thinking of over the next week or so dropping it 2-4 degrees. Anyone see a problem with this? My tank is keeping the room it is in warmer than I like. I guess do to the size of the tank and fans blowing on the water constantly. That is the reason I am considering doing it. My home stays around 73-74 and the room the tank is in stays around 77.

I keep my tank 80-83. My tank to room sizes aren't to the ratio where the tank temp affects the room temp. More like the other way around. When my house gets up over 74 the chiller works overtime to keep the tank temps stable.

My home stays around 73-74 and the room the tank is in stays around 77.
Your tank is most likely heating up the room. I try to keep mine at 80, but in the summer is can rise to about 83. Dropping your a degree or two would not be a bad idea.

If you're running MH lighting I'd imagine that's quite a contributor to the room temp. Tank temp be darned!

I am running MH and I can tell a difference when they are on, but even at night there is a very noticable difference.

With that volume of water it would take a lot to heat up the tank
I see no problem with a degree or 2 drop.
I keep mine at 78-80

My temp is between 80 - 82F. Lately though, good thing I caught it while I was changing filters, the water came up to like 90F 8O

I pulled the plug on the heater and in the course of 2 days, there was a drastic change from 90F to 85F. I pointed my heater's setting to 75 then monitored the tank temp and the fish. Two more days later, it went down to 80F. Then after two more days, it stayed there at 80F.

So how come heaters would say 75 but it will maintain 80F? My FW tank heater is set at 72F but the temp in the tank is at 79F right now. Is there an arithmetic calculation that I have to consider or something?

Generally those temp settings on the heaters aren't too accurate. I have one of mine set to 81 and the tank is at 79. One of my other ones is dead nuts on.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom