What test kit do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We are close to running out of the strip test kit that the LFS sold us upon set up and want to buy a better test kit. What do you recommend? Right now we are FOWLR.. what tests do we need beside the normal: Nitrites, Nitrates, amnia, Total Alk? We have good amnia, PH and Silicate test already. Someone mentioned needing to test the Calc and Alk for the Live Rock. That's new to me. Do you do this?

TIA
DJ :)

I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master test kit and it works well. Comes with PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests.

Dont worry about testing for calc and alk for your LR. As long as you do regular water changes it will be replenished there as will most trace elements. I am using Aquarium Pharm. but plan to shange to seachem.

I just started using Salifert tests - I like them much better than the aquarium pharmaceuticals tests I was using.

There must be a correct answer on this subject as far as which are the most accurate... I'm sure someone will chime in with that.

My experience, using both Seachem and Salifert, is that both are very accurate. IMO, the Salifert is easier to use which is why I prefer them. YMMV.

From my readings, Salifert and Seachem seem to be the most accurate and popular.

Where's the best place to buy Saliferts?

I have used Seachem and Salifert and also prefer the Salifert for ease of use. I also feel more confident in the results, I think because it is easier to do, I'm less likely to mess up the reading/mixing.

For where to get them... shope around for the "Deal of the week" so to speak. Different supply stores have sales all the time, shop around and hit an online retailer.

Back
Top Bottom