what the best salt...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok well i was talking to the guys at the local fish stores around me and they all agreed that the salt i have sucks. i bought the red sea salt when it was onsale during boxing day but am now regretting it. i have been looking at tropic marine and reef cyrstals. but i was wondering truly what brand i should buy. i would like peoples experiences on salt they have used and any reccomendations. i am not looking for a concrete 1 salt answer just a general view of the top 3. thanks.

I was using IO, for a while, I am constantly fighting algae blooms. I just changed to RC, so I don't have much to say right now, since I have only done 1 maybe 2 PWCs. In other words, they jury is still out, for me.

Tropic Marin hands down, the product is worth the price. Never used RC, but then again i have never needed to try another salt. Tropic Marine keeps your tank in great shape and keeps all your levels right where they should be.

I have used IO and hated it. I switched to Reef Crystals and love it, fish look better, disolves faster, less nuisance algae, i'm very pleased.

I switched from IO to Kent and then recently to RC. Couldn't be happier with RC personally

I switched from Instant Ocean to Seachem Reef Salt. Never had many problems with IO except that I didn't like the way it dissolved. Always was a pain and there was always stuff left over that didn't dissolve. Seachem was supposed to be better in calcium and alkalinity...but so far I've found that (with using tap water) it gives extrememly high calcium >500 and extremely high alkalinity > 12-16 dKh. I am also having cyano issues that I never had before with IO (surprisingly).

I have heard great things about Tropic Marin and Reef Crystals, so I'll probably be giving them a go after the Seachem is gone.

I use oceanic. It keeps my calcium at around 400-420 just doing weekly PWC`s. It also does a good job of replacing trace elements so I dont have to supplement anything in my tank. I like what I see with Oceanic salt. By the way this will be a 10 answer question.

roka64 said:
I was using IO, for a while, I am constantly fighting algae blooms. I just changed to RC, so I don't have much to say right now, since I have only done 1 maybe 2 PWCs. In other words, they jury is still out, for me.

I have the same problem.

I too am using IO, and Can't keep up with the Red Slime algae. As fast as my snails and I clear it, it grows back 10 fold. RC is made by IO, so I don't know if that will be any better?

I am looking at changing salt too, This Algae is out of controll.

My LFS said that IO and other widly available salt mixes that claim they have no Phosphates, actually do, but its a different type of phosphates, and said that for a Reef High End salt is a better choice, I forgot what the brand of High end salt he carried was (It might be that Tropic Marine stuff), but it wasn't something you could pick up at any petsmart, petco, etc..

I don't know if that is true or if he was just trying to sell me an expensive salt, but I am almost willing to spend the money to find out. But then again, my API Phosphate test shows 0 Phosphates, so I'm still confused!

-TheChad

I use the RC mix. It has good Alk usually 11 dkh The Ca level about 370. I mix using RO/DI water.

It sounds like RC is what most are using....

I'm suprised, I figured it would have the same issues as IO since it's made by the same company...

There was an article I read that tested the difference between RC and IO and said there was little to no difference...

But If the people doing the testing are using the same test kits that we use, god only knows how accurate the results really are...

These stupid test kits are far from a distinctive answer. The colors never match, and 1/2 the time the color from one to another are only a slight shade difference. (I wish there was a handheld computer that you could stick in a probe and it would give you accurate readings of all your parameters)

-TheChad

i am sure there is lol but it would cost a fortune. my dad works at a place where they have all the pinpoint calibrated machines to test levels of evrything. he was going to pick me up a refractometer from his work but i had already ordered one. i am leaning towards the reef cyrstals now. i am also suprised that it is the leading brand when it is made by a the same company as a crapy brand of salt. red sea also makes a reef variety of there salt. i wonder what the quality of that is.

mr funktastic said:
i am sure there is lol but it would cost a fortune. my dad works at a place where they have all the pinpoint calibrated machines to test levels of evrything. he was going to pick me up a refractometer from his work but i had already ordered one. i am leaning towards the reef cyrstals now. i am also suprised that it is the leading brand when it is made by a the same company as a crapy brand of salt. red sea also makes a reef variety of there salt. i wonder what the quality of that is.

It'd be worth it.

I've paid a couple of hundred dollars for all my test kits in the last year, and at best i get "It could be this, but maybe this, because none of the colors match, and many colors are very close together, so Your guess is as good as mine - Signed, Your Liquid test kit"

-TheChad

see, what i dont get is why io and reef crystals would be so different. they are both made by the same exact company, and are identicle except for the front of the bag. so why would they make a shitty salt and a good salt at the same plant? i just switched to rc, but i am sceptical about any company that would produce crap and sell it right next to the supposed "better" product. personally i have not seen any difference, but then again it 's only been a pwc or too since then so well see.

I dont think they are the same. The IO is more of a All SW salt while the Reef crystals is more of a formula to benefit corals, anenomes and other reef inhabitants. I dont use either one but this is what I have read. This is what IO says about them. There is a difference

Instant Ocean®
sea salt

Instant Ocean® sea salt contains every necessary major, minor, and trace element and has no nitrates and no phosphates. It was developed through sophisticated biological and chemical testing, and every batch is analyzed to assure consistent high quality. Exceptional solubility, uniform particle size, and outstanding package value have made Instant Ocean® salt the choice of aquarists for over 40 years. No other product outperforms Instant Ocean® salt. Our guarantee of quality is supported by a history of proven usage. Instant Ocean® is the world's most popular brand of sea salt. It is available in 5, 10, 25, 50, and 160 gallon sizes.

Reef Crystals® enriched blend sea salt

Reef Crystals® enriched blend sea salt contains extra levels of calcium, vitamins, and selected trace elements. Developed for use in sophisticated reef aquariums, it was the first enriched sea water formulation available to aquarium hobbyists. The inclusion of important components at concentrations greater than in natural seawater assures extended availability of substances that are assimilated and depleted especially quickly in thriving reef aquariums. A special additive helps to detoxify excess heavy metals, such as copper, that are often found at elevated levels in domestic water supplies. Reef Crystals® salt provides superior dissolvability and is compatible with all marine aquariums. We use only the most sophisticated biological and chemical test methods to develop and refine our formulas, and Reef Crystals® sea salt is no exception. Every batch is carefully analyzed to guarantee composition, consistency, and uniformity. Reef Crystals® is available in 10, 25, 50, and 160 gallon sizes.

i wonder how many salt production plants there really are out there? i have a hard time picturing there being much difference production wise between these and all other salts. maybe they add a dash of something to it, or something along those lines, but would they really have 2 seperate plants producing almost the same exact thing? i'm just sayin...

i use IO, i do have some of the red glass algae.

IO says it contains no phosphates doesn't it, thought that would keep the algae down

Everyone that I know that uses IO has cyano problems. Saying that IO and RC are made by the same company so they must both be crappy doesn't make alot of sense. Remember the Aveo and the Corvette Z06 are made by the same company. :wink: RC may not be the absolute best salt on the market, but I think it's a hell of a value, only a few dollars more a bucket than IO. The number of people using it speak for it.

Back
Top Bottom