Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea it seems to me like they def need new filters for their ro/di unit. See if they'll refund your money or give you fresh water WITHOUT nitrates lol

Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Chris182
Lol will do! It's a shame I cannot get there until the weekend (don't finish work early enough on a weekday)

Old 04-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Chris182
What is the really dangerous levels of nitrate for marine invertebrates?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For inverts and corals it depends but in general they are all sensative to a high level of nitrates. I would say 40 ppm is pushing the absolute max. I could be wrong as I'm sure some species can tolerate it more than others. I had a hitchhiking emerald crab survive my cycle, but 40 is very high.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

I think you are over stepping your boundaries if the water is tested from their holding tanks. As far as I know there is not a regulation as to abuse of aquatics in terms of water quality within a given range. Also, it could be said that 40ppm is a cause for concern of which you would be the pot calling the kettle black, that is if I didn't already know many fish can tolerate 100+ppm of Nitrate.

*IF this is indeed RO/DI water being sold as fresh sw then you have every right to demand answers I've known lfs' to actually siphon from their holding tanks to offer as "pure" RODI...shameful if that would be the case.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is water being sold as ro/di water. 40ppm nitrates coming from a ro/di unit is extremely high and while there may not be regulations against it, it is certainly bad business. Fish can tolerate much higher levels of nitrate but he asked specifically about corals and inverts.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just casually go in and ask to see a TDS reading of their RO/DI water. If they don't even have a TDS meter to do it for you, then you can gracefully point out that the water they're selling has 40ppm nitrates in it when you get it home. Two things that will do... (1) establish whether the source water is the culprit, and (2) if it is, then the discussion will probably end right there! I can't imagine any LFS trying to argue that 40ppm out of an RO/DI is acceptable.

Before getting toxic on the LFS, you should probably make sure it's indeed their water, and not contamination from your buckets or something that happened to the water once it left their shop.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
Just casually go in and ask to see a TDS reading of their RO/DI water. If they don't even have a TDS meter to do it for you, then you can gracefully point out that the water they're selling has 40ppm nitrates in it when you get it home. Two things that will do... (1) establish whether the source water is the culprit, and (2) if it is, then the discussion will probably end right there! I can't imagine any LFS trying to argue that 40ppm out of an RO/DI is acceptable.

Before getting toxic on the LFS, you should probably make sure it's indeed their water, and not contamination from your buckets or something that happened to the water once it left their shop.
+1 This is a much better idea than mine. My emotions/ short temper often get the better of me lol
Old 04-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
For inverts and corals it depends but in general they are all sensative to a high level of nitrates. I would say 40 ppm is pushing the absolute max. I could be wrong as I'm sure some species can tolerate it more than others. I had a hitchhiking emerald crab survive my cycle, but 40 is very high.
Soft corals and some lps such as Euphyllia spp., Turbinaria, and various "brain" corals can tolerate up to 75ppm ime, but sps and lps such as Acanthastrea spp., Catalaphyllia, or Fungia may not tolerate over 40ppt (often seen as toxicity state for coral). There is no given rule due to individual coral metabolisms and their uptake tolerances so much of it is theoretical approach with most deeming 20ppt as a "safe" upper limit. As for mobile inverts I've seen various snails reproduce and shrimp successfully molt in excess of 40ppt, but this would be observational and not via stress induced testing: there are studies on various toxicity levels of fish and invertebrates online.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hopefully they aren't aware of their water quality. Any LFS that tries that is way too shady to remain in business. I'm going to have to check all of my water now.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com