What the heck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris182

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just tested my tank and ammonia and nitrite are 0. However my nitrate is very high (about 40ppm)! I thought I would test the LFS saltwater and low and behold, there levels are over 40!!! What the heck!! Is this normal?? Just wanted to make sure before I burst through their doors with a torrent of abuse??

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats you have a cycled tank
Do a couple of PWC to get the nitrates down below 20. Then you're all good.

Chris182 said:
I have just tested my tank and ammonia and nitrite are 0. However my nitrate is very high (about 40ppm)! I thought I would test the LFS saltwater and low and behold, there levels are over 40!!! WTF!! Is this normal?? Just wanted to make sure before I burst through their doors with a torrent of abuse??

Glad you didn't kick in someone's door!

I am no longer a mentor, but please do not use Abeviations to get nasty language past our filters. This is a family site!

thincat said:
I am no longer a mentor, but please do not use Abeviations to get nasty language past our filters. This is a family site!

Thank you! Exactly. I'm thirteen; there are younger kids on here.

Anyway, thanks for your answers, though their own water is high in nitrate, is that normal?

Chris182 said:
I have just tested my tank and ammonia and nitrite are 0. However my nitrate is very high (about 40ppm)! I thought I would test the LFS saltwater and low and behold, there levels are over 40!!! What the heck!! Is this normal?? Just wanted to make sure before I burst through their doors with a torrent of abuse??

Back to your issue, no this doesn't seem normal to me. Unless it was a FO tank and even then I wouldn't continue to go there. I would say call them and see if they have an answer for you, and start looking for a new LFS.

I agree. Ask them over the phone to avoid a situation. But in the meantime and for the future I would find a different place to take my business.

The thing is there is no trace of ammonia or nitrite in the water. Where would the nitrate come from? Standard tap water?

Well unless they gave you water form a cycling tank there wouldn't be ammonia or nitrite. Nitrite is the biproduct of ammonia and nitrate is the biproduct of nitrite. They were just way behind on PWC's and or general maintenance.

That's what I mean though. This is supposed to be fresh water with no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, because there are no fish in the water to cause any if them, right? Or am I being thick and just misunderstanding what you mean? Lol

Where did you get the water from? Is it from their tank or is it RO/DI water?

I think I misunderstood you lol. This is water for a PWC ? Then it shouldn't have anything at all and that's even worse it has 40ppm nitrate in it. Sounds like tap water to me, I hope they weren't selling it as ro/di water.

BallinCrew10 said:
I think I misunderstood you lol. This is water for a PWC ? Then it shouldn't have anything at all and that's even worse it has 40ppm nitrate in it. Sounds like tap water to me, I hope they weren't selling it as ro/di water.

Yep it is both pure ro water for top up and saltwater for pwc's.

Wow, now I fully understand your anger lol. I would call them immediatly and find an answer. Then curse them out something fierce lol. Then find a new LFS.

I will call them first thing in the morning (it is late here) and see what they have to say. They may not even be aware of it

I have nurifin tap safe used for my fw fish tanks. Would this help adding some to the tank, as it is supposed to help remove metals and make tap water safe?

Back
Top Bottom