what the heck is going on????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i added my salt like a week ago and i used a digital scale so i know i was close to the right amount i checked the salinity and sg a day after and i was 1.022 then the next day i checked and the hydrometer read all as high of leves as it could go so i thought the hydrometer was junk so i went and got a digital one but the digital one seems to say everything is low so i started adding salt to try and get it to raise up. i checked it after i put the salt in it was was perfect then a couple hours later it was low again im starting to get frustrated and confused on how to get it to stay at steady. and again im very new to this so any kind of help will help me a ton thank you

One thing to remember when using those plastic hydrometers, is to rinse them very well with fresh water. The reason being that if you do not, whatever salt was in the water will dry on the small float and put your future readings out of whack. In conclusion tho, an electronic hydrometer is much more precise and consistent. :wink: HTH

8)

Simple solution is buy a refractometer. Salinity monitors need calibtrating continuously and hydrometers for the most part are inaccurate.

Fill your hydrometer with fresh unsalinated water and let it sit overnight. Empty the next day and then rinse repeatedly in the tank. Scoop up the correct amount for testing and place on a level surface. Give the hydrometer a few gentle taps to dislodge any trapped air bubbles, wait a few seconds and read the level. Once done, rinse thoroughly in fresh water.

Cheers
Steve

quick update i changed some of my water out because i was adding salt because of the digital hydrometer was saying i was to low so i changed some out and checked it with my instant ocean hydrometer and tapped it to get the bubbles out and its reading perfect so im gonna believe that instant ocean cuz i dont think i trust that digital one because ive had to calibrater it everytime i turn it on and off and it keeps giving me crazy reading so i dont think im gonna be keeping that thing. and in the owners book it says it only needs to be calibrated like 2 times a month well ive done like 3 years worth of calibrating and ive had it for 2 days sooo. thanks for the help i never knew to tap it to get the air bubbles out.

Back
Top Bottom